• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I connect to IRC using telnet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

Everytime i try to connect it gives me.
untitled.JPG

What do i do next?

just because its cooler...hehe
I want to see how it works more. Since i just started using irc.

I tried using Telnet just to be cool but could never get far, from memory you have to ping it or something - can't really remember.

If you want the cool sorta console window get a unix shell somewhere and SSH into it and use BitchX or IIRSI.

ati said:
just because its cooler...hehe
I want to see how it works more. Since i just started using irc.

i've never used IRC... whats it all about?

i know it stands for internet relay chat but people dont use it for chat... give me some info!

cheers

gorilly said:
i've never used IRC... whats it all about?

i know it stands for internet relay chat but people dont use it for chat... give me some info!

cheers
Mainly it's used for idling ;)

Most people use it for chatting, but there are other uses.. you can run a fileserver on it, there are some games, like trivia, or use it for any number of technical feats (it is a self-sustaining environment that connects hundreds or thousands of people... it can be used as a transport). Although, the most common technial uses of it that I've seen has been allowing attackers to connect to trojan-infected computers to run commands on the computer remotely.

There are many positive uses for it... where Instant Messaging is for 1-on-1 conversations, IRC can be considered a group conversation (new "rooms" can be created, private messages are possible, and there are several levels of moderation that can be used.

It has been integrated into lots of things.. games are using it so they don't need to develop their own chat system.. Blizzard uses it in Battle.net and World of Warcraft.

More technical businesses use it for technical support. It's faster than email, and you can get a group of opinnions. It's also used in some interviews.. lots of people can "listen" in, but only certain people have voice, and can "speak" and ask questions.

michaell said:
I tried using Telnet just to be cool but could never get far, from memory you have to ping it or something - can't really remember.

If you want the cool sorta console window get a unix shell somewhere and SSH into it and use BitchX or IIRSI.

Or irssi even :p

you need a username (identy) to enter the server (most irc servers have password protected usernames, so if you try to log in as someone that has there username registered you have to have there password to log in) so basicly it looks like you need to enter a identy (If you have one registered on that server you will need to use the approprate commands to identify yourself) and if you pick a identy that someone else has already registered just pick another.. a client will normaly just give you a generic guest#### identy untill you change it with the /nick command.. but telnet doesnt seem to do that for you..

hope this helps

oh yea.. and once you give yourself an ID and it lets you log onto the irc server you will want to join or create a room.. :D

wow.. what a pain.. I wonder if there's a way to automate that with telnet (I havent used telnet in 10 years or so so excuse me if I dont remember the tools included.. :D )

Back