• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How "durable" is the motherboard and CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

With all the talks of removing, installing and modifying - I thought I bring up a relavant question that many of you might have different views on.

That question is, "How durable is the motherboard and CPU?"

When I say durable, I don't mean dropping it or anything.

Would you guys work on your motherboard with the enviroment has static? even though your grounded? I.e bedroom full of clothes laying around. Girlfriend walking back and forth with her fuzzy pink bunny slippers; stuff like that.

Given all the proper precautions, such as grounding yourself, making sure your hands are clean and washed - would having, fingerprints on the motherboard or any other computer component cause any flaws or problems? Even down the line?

ahh.. put one hand on the PSU.. there goes the static..
anything shiny and metal will discarge static electrisity..

now think about somthing like.. more productive.. faster anything! ROFL :D

greenmaji said:
ahh.. put one hand on the PSU.. there goes the static..
anything shiny and metal will discarge static electrisity...

...or, just keep a lot of peanut buter on your fingers. :)

All seriousness aside, that's good advice. It's all I ever do. (and I build computers almost every day) Conventional wisdom is to unplug the PS while working on your computer, but I say the opposite. Keep it plugged and you have a handy ground. The first thing I do when making a new build is to plug in the PS.

Most times, static discharge isn't strong enough to do damage to even the most delicate of circuits. However, I have no doubt those big ones... the ones that fluff your hair, curl your toes, and send the cat into orbit...could possibly zap a weak trace or perhaps kill a transistor gate. Why take a chance? Stay plugged in and touch the case often.

i build them on my bed, or on my hardwood floor. i had a big coffe table that would hold the guts of an entire rig spread out, it was perfect. *sniff* she's gone now...

Back