• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a 2.8 Dual Core faster than a 3.2 hyperthread S478?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi,

Without overclocking, is a 3.2ghz hyperthreading S478 faster than a 2.8 dual core?

Is dual core similar to hyperthreading? Is there a real world difference (with real applications, not benchmarking)?

Thanks,
RIch

In apps that are multithreaded you will see pretty large performance jump, but 3.2Ghz will be little faster in single threaded applications.
So if you use multithreaded applications I suggest upgrading to dual core. Otherwise its better to wait.

So in regular winxp pro, with mostly office applications, web browsing, email , some games, etc, the 3.2 northwood is faster than the 2.8 dual core.

Wow, I havent upgraded in 2.5 years. I am dying to upgrade but there is nothing worth going to.

richklein said:
So in regular winxp pro, with mostly office applications, web browsing, email , some games, etc, the 3.2 northwood is faster than the 2.8 dual core.

Wow, I havent upgraded in 2.5 years. I am dying to upgrade but there is nothing worth going to.

Well, the dual core will overclock higher than you processor can go.

Looks like you bought the fastest cpu available at the time. Without even overclocking, pretty much all the athlon 64's are faster than it.

Outside of multithreaded programs, there is another major advantage to dual core: multitasking.

As far as hyperthreading goes, it's beneficial for the same things, but can in no way compete with proper dual core or dual cpu systems.

I know this is the intel side, I went with AMD once with a XP1900. I was never impressed at all with it. I am a little hesitant in heading back that way & think I want to stick with an intel chipset.

I just bought a ATI X800 XT AGP card. Is there any way to get an AGP card to play nicely with a PCI Express card?

If I have the chance to buy a new PC without it costing me a nickel (recycling my old PC which is still pretty speedy), what could I get that would be faster than what I have?

richklein said:

I think your right, keep waiting till something worth going to, gets here.
I'm sure your know it when it happens.

Back