• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does excess heat affect superglue???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayP

i want to superglue a fan onto my north chip heatsink but i am worried about excess heat melting the superglue away. i can't screw in the fan cuz the fan wasn't made for the heatsink. any thoughts? is there something out there that is a better adhesive that isn't too expensive?

I superglued homemade heatsinks to the 3 GPUs on a voodoo2 & had no problems.. they're still on tighter than hell..

I also superglued some homemade heatsinks to the memory chips on a voodoo3 3500TV & they're still on tight.. heat doesn't seem to be much of a problem for it.

The way I did it was I used some ASII in the center and some superglue on the edges. I think you can also mix the ASII & glue and just use that all over. I've read about people doin that way, but never tried it.

If you're just gluin a fan onto the heatsink, they're shouldn't be any prob at all..

My northbridge and graphics card fans are both held on with superglue. Make sure you put thermal past over the chip, and alittle drop of superglue in the corners.

If you want to ever take it off without breaking the chip, try a couple of dabs of hot melt glue around the edges instead.

ummm....wont hot melt glue melt offf....i dont recommend it......superglue i believe can stand up to 100C heat so unless youre petting passive cooling on an athlon you should be fine....

Super glue doesn't set correctly with very much heat but if you let it dry its fine from that point on.

Most good hot glue has a working temp of around 350f so if it melts on you PC you HAD a problem :)

Back