• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Its getting hot in here...not good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ticktock123

I have posted about this a few times, but no one has given me a streight answer. For now i will skip all the stuff to lead to the hot temps and my trying to fix it and keep it simple.

Right now i have the side of my computer (Computer specs in sig). And i have a reg old floor fan (20 inches or so) running about 1/2 feet from the cpu and also going at full blast. With this going i am only able to get the cpu down to 50C or so [min i found was 46C (got to love MN winter air)] :) . From reading around on the forums i am thinking that the temp isn't that great. The thing that really bugs me though is that when i don't turn the fan on it runs only about 3C higher....but wait there is more...when running any program my temps start rising very fast. At 100% CPU it can get to about 60C. When running a brand new game i just got (won't name names) it got to about 75C and shut down :eh?: . This has been going on for a few months and i am sure it has been going on before then but i just didn't check the temps. If ANYONE has ANYTHING that i can do i am open to it.

I am even open to the fact that i am just crazy :p and it isn't really a problem and i shouldn't post anymore. Thanks for looking and hope to hear back from you.

AMD64 and stock heatsink (never taken off).

If it's stock and never taken off then maybe you'd do better applying some AS5. If the heatsink sucks then you should get a new one and some AS5

Just get some new thermal paste like Artic Silver 5 and take off your stock HSF and reapply it with the new paste. I am sure its just making poor contact as you should be able to run at a comfortable temperature even with the stock HSF.

I must agree with the previous posts. Non-stock HS and some AS5 will hook ya up just fine. It may also be an issue with the HS not being seated properly when it was initially installed.

i, too, put my suggestion to the thermal interface. try reapplying with AS5 or ceramique, and see if that helps. also, have you checked if there is a dust buildup in the heatsink's fins? that will also cause terrible temps.

What do you have for the case fans? where are they, which way they blowing, and what kind / size / make / model are the fans? and what kind of cooler is on the cpu? is it stock, aftermarket... what ?

well as i said in the start of the thread i am trying to keep it simple for now. I can tell you if you really want to know the locals of the fans and such but for right now i was more worried about the fact that i was STILL getting hot temps when i had a huge fan blowing right on it.

As for the dust, good thinking, i had looked in to that and i cleaned it a few weeks ago but i still got hot temps, and holy cow it was not very clean at all.

Thanks everyone for replying and if there is anything else youc an think of please write it

without getting the heat into the heatsink efficiently, the cpu will be hot no matter what you do, thats why we all think that its the thermal compound, and reseating the HSF would likely fix it, and we want to know what cooler you have on it so we can determine how effective it should be for that cpu.

exactly, the fan cant reach the cpu, the cpu has to transfer it well to the cooler first

get an aftermarket sink and artic silver 5

I have what ever AMD put on my Mother board so i am not sure what it is.

would you guys have any idea what it is or what are some good ones to get?

My heatsink now is a 70mm fan and about 30-50cm from Mb to top of fan.

its probably the stock cooler then, which arent that great but they should get the job done at stock temps. i personally think the tower style coolers are the way to go, scythhe ninja, Thermaltake Sonic tower, ones like that, the heatpipes do a good job at moving the heat away from the cpu quickly.

I personally would first start with replacing the TIM (thermal interface material) and if that doesnt do much good then replace the heatsink, but if the tim did good i would save some pennies till i could afford it and still upgrade the cooling, just not as quickly as if the cpu were really hot.

Instead you'll have hard of hearing problems. :p

Personally, I think an Si-120 with a panaflo is great since the si-120 install is so easy.

ckj said:
Instead you'll have hard of hearing problems. :p

Personally, I think an Si-120 with a panaflo is great since the si-120 install is so easy.

good point...at 62Dbs it is a very loud fan...and with that do i really need something that can cool a full size room every min? i have a BUNCH of other fans around my case and it isn't that big

2X120
2X80

Then the answer if simple:
Step 1: Replace thermal interface material on stock heatsink (generally a thermal pad) with some artic silver 5.

That should drop your temps by a few degrees. Any more than that will require a new heatsink.

ticktock123 said:
good point...at 62Dbs it is a very loud fan...and with that do i really need something that can cool a full size room every min? i have a BUNCH of other fans around my case and it isn't that big

2X120
2X80

I didn't realize you wanted a quiet fan...but it's still a great heatsink. Try either of these fans with it, depending on how quiet you want:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92trbllows.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92trblhisp.html

If you want something bigger to use a quieter fan, the XP-120 is better than the SI-120, if it'll fit on your motherboard. Keep in mind that the XP-90C will outperform either of them, though. I'd use one of my 220 cfm fans with it, but you might like these fans, since they're quiet:

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ThermalRight-XP-120-p-16161.html
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/Panaflo-120mm-Medium-Output-FBA12G12M1A-p-16194.html
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/Panaflo-120mm-Ultra-High-Output-FBA12G12U1A-p-16193.html

Back