• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with AIM ads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

i cant take it anymore.

movies playing at 3:30am, songs, announcements.
crap popping up when youre trying to do other things.

its all got to end forever. no more ads on AIM, period.

i know it might be done, but how.
i had it stopped at one point but i cant remember how i did it.
a little help would win alot of appreciation.

If you can figure out where the ads are loading from, you could pop it in a hosts file pointing to 127.0.0.1 :D

I have aimtoday.aol.com pointed to the loopback address, but the page still tries to load (intensely annoying as it opens a new browser window).

Theres something called viewpoint killer and I think it's the viewpoint player that allows those popups so that might be an option too if it works.I havn't tried it yet because I don't get those popups.
The reason I stick with aim is for the file transfer ease and everyone I know uses it hehe.

I would say use a different client, I use Trillian on windows and GAIM while in linux. Both are excellent and I love the multi protocal support of each.

The only problem with GAIM in windows is the troublesome file transfer support and picture sharing (I use it at work). But otherwise it does well. Of course I get rid of AIM ads two ways. First, I make sure to remove any and all traces of the damn viewpoint software. That should be deemed spy/adware. Second, I run a back level of AIM (so I can talk while away) and a copy of DeadAIM... :santa:

Back