• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 148: 2.8 @ Stock or bust!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

I finally got my 148 up and running. Yes, this is the one I bought back in November, but because ZZF can't RMA a motherboard in a timely manner, I just got it up and running this weekend.
I started it off OCing to 240x11, and it failed Prime one minute shy of the hour mark. Backed off a bit and set it at 280*8 just to see how strong the memory controller, eVGA motherboard, and G.Skill HZ's are, and it failed within the first 15 minutes.
Okay, so I played a bit too rough with it.
Backed off even further to 275x8, and it ran that for about 11 hours before my supply of yummy hamburgers (from ****'s Drive-In) and bad TV ran out.
At this point, I was thinking, "Hmmm... I wonder if that 'burn-in' had any effect."
So I set it to 270x10 where it has been happily running for the past 18 hours now. When I get home from work, I'm gonna go for 255x11, 280x10, or 311x9 and hope that one of them primes.
Oh yeah, I'm running it on stock volts because,
Did I forget to mention that I'm using the stock HSF and thermal pad? I just wanted to see a baseline overclock on the thermal pad and stock HSF and move up from there.
Would post some sceenshots, but I'm at work right now and my internets at home are borked...

By the way, could someone send me a link to the temp monitor for the eVGA motherboards?
It is kind of scary because without internet at home for the past two days, I can't get it and I have no way of knowing what my temps are in Windows. If the chip is prime stable, they can't be too bad, but I don't exactly want to see smoke billow out the back of my computer anytime soon.

Okay, apparently 2.7ghz is the upper limit for my chip with the stock cooler/thermal pad.
Anything above will fail prime95 within the first minute to hour, no matter the voltage or clock settings...
Any increase in voltage leads to 43c+ temps, and that is as reported by Speedfan, which I am pretty sure is not accurate on my eVGA NF-41. There is no way my chip at 2.7gHz runs at 33c in the bios, and 26c in Windows using Speedfan. I'm guessing temps are off by about 7-10c.
That said, I just ordered a Scythe Ninja, and maybe I will be able to hit that 2.8gHz at stock volts threshold.
If this 148 is maxed out 100mHz away from fx57 speeds, I'm going to be disappointed and have to eBay it for more than I bought it for.

I live by Coolerguys, so I dropped by before 5 and was able to pick up my Ninja and 120mm 114cfm fan. Didn't get time to install it yet, so I'm still priming away at 2.7gHz and should be coating my CPU with AS5 installing the Ninja.
God, that box is precious. Some things get lost in the translation, but everyone can enjoy a heatsink that comes in a box adorned with pink and purple ninjas. Apparently those silent warriors can silently attack my CPU heat to accomplish the multi-mission...

futura2001 said:
I live by Coolerguys, so I dropped by before 5 and was able to pick up my Ninja and 120mm 114cfm fan. Didn't get time to install it yet, so I'm still priming away at 2.7gHz and should be coating my CPU with AS5 installing the Ninja.
God, that box is precious. Some things get lost in the translation, but everyone can enjoy a heatsink that comes in a box adorned with pink and purple ninjas. Apparently those silent warriors can silently attack my CPU heat to accomplish the multi-mission...
Isn't that a little but faggy? Don't know about you guys but I'm not getting the Ninja until they change the box, what the hell ware they thinking? :bang head

Do some extensive burn in with CPUburn or Burnk7 and it should raise your clocks higher. When I first got my 146 I could not even post in windows at 280HTT, but I could at 270. So over the passed week and a half I have been pretty much burning in constantly and am now at 288. 285 was SuperPI32M stable, but didn't make it very long in Prime95. If I can make it to 290 i'll start dropping the Vcore and see how low I can get it and still be stable. But burning in really seems to help these opterons out a lot, so some good burn in time and you should be able to get higher.

Flip-Mode said:
Isn't that a little but faggy? Don't know about you guys but I'm not getting the Ninja until they change the box, what the hell ware they thinking? :bang head
Heh,
Well I guess it was made for those of us secure enough in our sexuality to make product decisions not based on the packaging and what colors of the rainbow are deemed gay, but by the performance of the product itself.
There are plenty of Thermalright heatsinks that come in nondescript cardboard boxes for the rest of you...

What is your stepping/batch/week code or whatever. I have an opteron 148 which I want to hit 2.75 (250x11) at stock because that is what the memory is rated to run!

Good luck with your oc!

My 148 is a CAB2E 0545 CPAW.
I really don't care about any more than 273 at 1:1, which my memory should be able to do. However, I have tested this chip at 300x9 on a divider and it was able to run just peachy, so I certainly have some headroom to work with, and potentially a lot more as I have not tested it beyond that.

Back