• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My carputer = finished

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
holy crap dude...what made you think of doing such a thing? Also how did you figure out how to do it? i would love that in my 1990 Buick Reg. hahah people looking for a grandma car and see the screen in side it would be sweet

I actually first got the idea from the forums here- someone with a bmw a few years ago I think.

I was mostly waiting to get a car worth spending the time on.

Check out the mp3car.com forums- I pretty much got all the necessary info from them. For the car wiring stuff, I pretty much relied on a mechanic friend of mine (as well as a good bit of other stuff). However, if you are decent at soldering its certainly doable to figure it out.

You can get a half height PCI MX4000 from newegg for pretty cheap, I have this one in my carputer, only $39, only $34 if you go with the 64mb version if it.

The dash install looks nice on your setup, just need to do something to neaten up that glovebox :p

Nice work. Mp3car is a great resource (as mentioned) for car computers. I've pondered doing this myself, but have held off as of now. Besides, I can't figure out where to put it, where it won't interfere with my storage space. Again, nice work, and good luck with the new version (new board/etc.)

Nice LCD install. I hope mine turns out as nice. Although I've spent a ton more, $300 on the LCD alone. Also have a Dothan for some sick power. You may want to go that route if you upgrade, I'm using a Asus mATX mobo/CT-479/1.3ghz Dothan, with a 128mb MX440. About $150 for all that.

As ThePCGuy said, mp3car.com has been my biggest help.

Thats awsome! I have a 97 eclipse which might be fun to throw a computer in. The only problem is that the computer prob. would not fit in the glove box and if it was in the trunk, I would need extensions for all the cords.

Extremely nice, clean look. I love everything except the computer being in the glovebox for some reason. It seems weird to me. :/ But I can see why you put it there.

if the glove box is closed who cares? THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

once i start saving money and stop buying comp parts.....ill buy a car.....then i have to save again and buy a coputer for it lol

Nice set up dude! like everyone, that screen looks awsome, how big is it exactly?
also, i'd be interested to know the details on how you're powering that thing.

kinda inspires me..

-TheNewn

Its a 7inch screen- just slightly smaller than a double din radio.

Power is coming off the old stereo power lines (stereo runs direct lines off the battery). Power supply is a m1-atx 90w automotive power supply that also has a startup/shutdown controller.

U could have fitted a Mac Mini in there, its small and fast and runs pretty cool.

Problem is with a mac mini PC for car use there is the same problems as home use, most software doesn't work on mac's, basicaly all the software developed for car use is for windows, there may be one or two now posibly, back when the mac mini came out I know there was none.

True yeah, depends what you want it for, i have a mate who has done it and he has Itunes installed and just plays his music of it.

Back