• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My carputer = finished

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mac mini would have also doubled the cost of the the thing.

Yeah, software is the main problem. Plus, I dont know enough about optimization on a mac.

Yeah, for just something like Itunes it would be ok, though trying to use the Itunes software on a 7" touchscreen would likely be a pain since everything would be so small.

That's the really good thing about a windows based system, there are many front end programs designed for in car use on 7" touchscreens, many of which you can completely customize the looks of it, the one I used on mine does MP3's, DVD's, GPS nav, picture viewer, video viewer, can auto sync it's database with my server PC thru a wireless NIC card and I customized the program so the display matches the headunit in my car. you do get a lot more hardware options too with a windows based one.

ticktock123 said:
holy crap dude...what made you think of doing such a thing? Also how did you figure out how to do it? i would love that in my 1990 Buick Reg. hahah people looking for a grandma car and see the screen in side it would be sweet
lemme know if you need any help. I have an '89 Caprice Brougham so the wiring should be similar. I briefly ran an 1800+ in the trunk as an MP3 player. It was extremely ghetto; I screwed the board (an MSI KM2M) down to piece of plywood along with the harddrive, CD Drive, PSU, some batteries, and a UPS converted to a power inverter. I used a relay to switch the computer on with the car and used my AIW remote to control winamp from inside the car. I later sold the board and processor to my neighbor for $40. (I only paid $20 for the board, processor & PSU. That sucker was a T-Bred B easily capable of 2.5ghz too!)

Back