• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My carputer = finished

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

After 50+ hours its finnally done :santa:

The car: My 2002 Mazda Protege5

IMG_5985.jpg

Specs:
AMD k6/2 450mhz processor overclocked to 550mhz on an unknown micro atx mobo.
392Mb pc100
40gig Hard drive
m-1 atx 90 watt automotive powersupply + startup/shutdown controller.
T-view 700-ts 7'' touchscreen monitor

The screen setup
IMG_6179.jpg

Showing the radar detector hardwire. Its a bit ghetto, but I couldnt bring myself to drill the dash.

IMG_6178.jpg

The computer in the glovebox. Sort of a tight fit :D

IMG_6181.jpg

The bezel under construction. Basically I made an aluminum plate and smoothed it with bondo spot putty. Turned out pretty good I think.

IMG_6175.jpg

Right now its only being used for mp3s + some divx movies- but a GPS, OBDII reader, and dvd player will go in eventually.

More pics to come of it in action + the audio stuff.

i kinda like the glovebox idea.it would allow for a slot load dvd player in the dash, and with some good parts it could look very clean.

You did an excellent job on that screen, it really looks like it was made to be there originally! Where did you find that touch screen? :cool:

just liek everyone else, my compliments go to the screen. lol.

anything you coudl do to tidy up that glove bos tho? possibly make more room, do some hacking and such, if you want to kill the functionality of the glovebox (already did lol) you could take out some of it's plastics and such probably.

something that worries me about it tho, the hard drive might not like bumps and shakins from the road.

Where did you find that touch screen?

Ebay, $140 :D

Its very similar to the lilliput, but it reportedly has a better touch screen.

My dream is to get a nano-itx setup and embed it in the dash behind the screen in a box so its one unit with the bezel.

Unfortunatly, via has been stalling nano itx for 2+ years now :bang head

Amazing screen install. If you are willing to saccrifice the glove box though, why don't you get rid of that ugly *** mess of PC components, and get a cheap, very tiny little mATX case, those half height ones. Then you could add a DVD drive to it, your stuff would be more protected, and it would be modular (removable)

is the computer connected to the stereo?

Yep, got a 480w 4ch amp and a 800w sub connected ot it.

If you are willing to saccrifice the glove box though, why don't you get rid of that ugly *** mess of PC components, and get a cheap, very tiny little mATX case, those half height ones. Then you could add a DVD drive to it, your stuff would be more protected, and it would be modular (removable)

Wouldnt fit. I need a new system to play dvds anyways (k6/2s) cant do it without some sort of video accelerator.

Back