• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random crash with my Ti-4800 @ 8x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC|Wulf

My friend gave me his old TI-4800 and decided to throw it in my comp to see how it compares to the TI-4200 I had.

I figured the bandwidth increase would be great! Well I am getting random BSODs when gaming while the card is set for 8x. As soon as I went into the BIOS and set it for 4x the BSODs stopped.

The only thing I can think of is that my CPU overclock is somehow causing this. I did not think that overclocking the CPU would effect the AGP/PCI bus as I have it frequency locked. I should also mention that this also happens with the graphics card at stock settings.

Would bumping up the AGP voltage help this. I would like to take advantage of the increased bandwidth.

Thanks in advanced!

see if the gpu heatsink fan is spinning
sounds more like gpu is not tranferring any heat to the heatsink
take off the heatsink and clean it and gpu core with rubbing alcohol
and apply some artic silver compound to both surfaces with a q-tip
and replace the heatsink
if the fan is dead ( remove it )
find some way of attaching a 40 or 50mm fan to it ( zip ties work good )

hope this helps

Put AS5 on it from teh get go and changed the stock cooler my friend had on it for a slightly better copper one.

Fan is spinning fine and moving plenty of air. Does 8x vs 4x affect the heat output of the card? I figured it was just the bandwidth between the CPU and the GPU.

What motherboard do you have? My parent's rig was one of the newer 8x AGP boards and it freaked out with the random BSOD's. You might wanna try updating your bios if you havent already.

Back