• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU inquiry/ Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

Currently in one of my rigs, I am running a SPI (sparkle)
Model # FSP-400-60GN

Current rails according to speedfan are as follows.
+12 11.81
+5 5.17
+3.3 3.34
Vcore 1.28
+2.5 1.55

The rig currently has the following
P4 820
2048 Ram
x1800xl
4x hdd's Sata

I game alot on the pc and never have any problems, so As far as I can tell the PSU is doing its job, without problems. However Will I be safe using this to come or is it best I purchase something newer? I also have a cooler master extreme power 430. However I think it is crappier than the SPI.

if it isn't broken, don't fix it

rails look fine, sparkles have a great reputation (sparkle and fortron are the same), start worrying if your +12 drops to 11.5 or so

If I add 2 more hdd's to the mix, what should I be looking out for? Im guessing 2 more hdds wont affect the psu much, its only like what .05A each?

You need to check your voltage via a DIMM (digital multi meter) to get accurate measurements. I use that same PSU in my AMD rig. For a dual core system it is not enough. Here are the specs from Newegg: [email protected]/28A, +5V@40/28.5A, [email protected], +12V@15A, [email protected], +5VSB@2A. Normally people suggest PSU's with 30A or more on the +12v line especially if you want to oc (this is for Intel systems). Popular PSU's that fit the bill include: OCZ 520 powerstream and the PC P&C 510express/sli. The OCZ is around $120, but is a little longer than a standard PSU. The PC P&C510express/sli is around $200.

Speedfan is unnacurate, as well as any other software program. Measure with a DIMM, like mentioned before, to get an accurate reading.

If you're planning on getting 2 more hard drives you may want to consider a new power supply. In addition to the already mentioned, there is the Silverstone ST56ZF (Personal favorite) and the Sparkle FSP550-60PLG.

Any software program is reading from a chip from the motherboard. The accuracy of the onboard chips aren't as reliable and can be way off from the actual voltage. However their inaccuracy is somewhat exaggerated imo. (they are somewhat trustworthy, but use a multimeter as suggested to be sure) Harddrives take about 25watts - for a 7200rpm (about 2.0A from the +12v. 2 harddrives would take around 4.0A of 12v. According to Alchemy1 you only have 15A on your +12v, leaving 11A for your CPU, graphics card, existing hard drives and cdroms. But you'll never know exactly what you can power without trying it first, if it doesn't work then think about getting a new psu.

I understand the somewhat inaccuracy from sensors, however... I have know to see video problems and hard ware failures when a PSU is unable to produce the required voltages on the rails.

I personally, Have of yet (knock on wood) seen any hardware issues as of far, (well I couldnt break 4k in 3d06 cause of timings, which i believe were voltage issues)

However, I will look into the 500 watt fortron, and swap this one off to another rig to be on the safe side.

Back