• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP overclocking 820 & P5WD2 doesn't work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steveeb

I have had this same problem from the DAY I put this thing together and I still can't figure out the problem :bang head

HELP!!

Setup:

P5WD2-Premium (latest bios)
Intel 820 D
BFG 6600GT OC
Win2K

I have stripped my computer to bare bones. In fact the motherboard isn't even in a case (that's another issue for another thread).

Whenever I overclock this board to ANYTHING OTHER THAN STOCK, about 60% of the games as well as apps like 3DMark06 DO NOT WORK RIGHT :bang head

What happens is when I run a game such as FarCry or GTA VC, the graphics run extremely jerky - making them impossible to play! Remember this is only if I set the FSB to anything other than the stock 200. I have set the PCI Mode to 100, and PCI Freq to 33.3 like some have suggested, but it didn't help.

The ONLY way I am able to play anything if my system is overclocked is to launch the game, alt-tab, and set the affinity to a single core. That's the only way.

I even tried a brand spanking new Gigabyte 6600GT and it does the same thing so I know it has something to do with either the CPU or motherboard.

I really need some help solving this problem once and for all. My next step is probably going to be swapping out CPU's but I want other peoples opinions first.

Thanks.

I woulda bet it was the video but you changed that so maybe your CPU is getting too hot and it's throttling back. I would have thought the frame rate would have gone down but not jerkey. Have you tried the latest versions or DirectX?

I'm running DirectX 9.0c. I also have Forceware 83.05, but I've tried at least 6 versions and it doesn't make any difference.

The video card is not overclocked at all.

The CPU is nice and cool (around 45C) and the video card temps are in the mid 50's so I don't think it's a throttling problem. I'm thinking either mb or cpu and leaning more toward mb.

Ok, I did it... I swapped the 820 for a 640 and o/ced it to 4.0ghz. The games ran as smooth as silk. So it's pretty much linked to the dual core which I already knew since I had to set the affinity to get them to work right. :shrug:

Well, it appears that larva hit the nail on the head. I had tried EVERYTHING except changing the OS. Upon larva's advice, I quickly installed (dual boot) XP home (I've had a copy for years just never used it) and ran windows update a few times to get it to SP2. I installed BF2 and fired it up... SMOOTH AS SILK!!

So after all that, it was Windows 2000 Pro that was giving me the problems. Next I need to wipe my drive clean and start over with a fresh copy (I'll be getting XP Pro). When that happens, all should be fine.

Thanks Larva for your help! :)

Back