• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest hard drive out there

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jdrake90 said:
http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/gigabyte-iram/index.x?pg=1

Check it out... found this story on www.digg.com....

Interesting concept, although I don't like the fact that you can lose data if you unplug your comp.

Jdrake90

wouldnt lose any data, it does get power VIA the PCI slot, but it also does have an onboard BATT, burrently its limited but the speed of sata, only 150MB/sec, they plan to use it on SATAII AND PCI-E, PCI-E Meaning directly though the PCI-E interface getting 8GB/sec is it ?, not to bad all around through, considering you could boot to your desktop in 4 seconds flat. and heh lets remember you can alsways run the sata versions in RAID 0.

4 Gigs max? And an average cost of about $500 for that much memory? :eh?:

. . . Or a RAid 0 array with a wopping 8Gigs for $1000? :bang head . . .

I think it's still gonna be a while until solid state can replace current hard drives for the common user. Especially since the prolonged read and write speed of the I-RAM was hardly faster than the current high performance HDDs. That was rather surprising.

Revivalist said:
4 Gigs max? And an average cost of about $500 for that much memory? :eh?:

. . . Or a RAid 0 array with a wopping 8Gigs for $1000? :bang head . . .

I think it's still gonna be a while until solid state can replace current hard drives for the common user. Especially since the prolonged read and write speed of the I-RAM was hardly faster than the current high performance HDDs. That was rather surprising.

yeah it is quite $$$, but actually they also got one that will take 2GB ddr modules, so 16GB :) 8xRAID 0

Yay, that would make it about $2000 for 16GB. That's even stupider than spending $300 on a 150GB Raptor, especially at this point with the limitations of SATA150.

It has its uses. I was seriously thinking about buying one, then I saw that they were $150 without ram. Last I heard they were going to be $50, but I guess that was just a rumor.

This does have some serious applications though. My first thought was to have a dedicated page file drive. This could also be used for a photoshop scratch drive, or any other ram-intensive program. If you had a game you really like you could probably even do that. Although some games are larger than 4gb now.

Also- you wouldn't need uber-fast ram to fill this. An article said that even DDR200 wouldn't saturate the bandwidth. You could probably find 1gb sticks for as low as $50, making the 4gb drive a total of $350. 8gb Raid 0 would be $700, 16gb Raid 0 $1400. Is this a little much for a 16gb drive? Yes. Would anything else on the market match the speed and latency? Not even close.

Last edited:
its so stupid if you lose power on that eveything goes and its only 4 gigs so there is no point for that now

michaelpi said:
its so stupid if you lose power on that eveything goes and its only 4 gigs so there is no point for that now

Read the article. I has a 10 hour Lithium-Ion battery in case of power-loss.

wow, thats the biggest waste of money EVER. you could buy two sata 500gb hd's and run them in raid. definately wont even think twice about this pos.

Back