• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap folding farms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michaelpi

ok i got $500-800 usd and i want to build a folding farm i dont want just one comp does aney one have aney good ideas

cheap p4 presshots with decent boards and oc them...probably the best bang for your buck...run them diskless too...puts more money towards power vs all the stupid crap like hdds that shoots the cost up.

ha how do some ppl have like 20+ computers i mean dang thats got to be a lot of cash

not if you know what you're doing..its not that bad.

I think the XPS is more of a waste..

there have been a couple of threads recently that went through exactly this question.

Although there were some varying opinions, AMD vs intel ... the reality of the current WU mix from stanford favours p4 rigs because of the reliable supply of QMD WU's (except for a few hours today, and a couple of days back in oct) . This is the current conlcusion if you are looking to maximize your current ppd.

Some would favour multple cheap p4's, others might suggest 1 dual core 920.
1 good oc'ed 920 should get you 800-900 ppd or more.
Audioaficionado is leaning towards that route, and ihsetrdr has been building his farm that way. I have 4 DC's and JoeCamel has a thread on jis successes with it. You will find some discussion across a few threads.
1 DC rig would consume your whole budget.

Harlam357 has been leaning towards the multple p4 laysers i believe. As well as others from the posts above. So search a few of their posts to understand the reasoning behind their approaches.

And of course some will argue AMD's.

There are price differences, and ongoing costs for heat/cooling and power to consider in the equation.

For me the answer is simple /edit since I already have a bunch of rigs.

/edit If you enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to run multiple rigs, then go for a few 'layers" vs a p4 DC which will get you only 1 layer for the same $

Last edited:
Back