• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PowerLine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fightingpiper

Well I am probably going to be putting my house up for sale so I had to take the CAT5 out that I had run through my ductwork to my family room (kinda doesn't meet code) :). I had a couple of options to connect the media box and Replay TV in the family Room to the network. I do have a wireless router but I would need another Linksys wrt54g and set it up in a bridge mode. Since all they are selling now is the Version 5 and you can't install the DD-WRT firmware on those, I decided to try out the powerline networking. I bought Netgear XE102's from Best Buy. Can't get any easier to setup...1) plug into the wall 2) plug cat 5 form router to XE102. 3)Plug other XE102 into wall outlet in Family Room. 4)Plug Cat 5 from Replay TV to XE102......and your finished. Simple solution to my problem. I just haven't tried streaming video to my media box yet so I hope it will have enough bandwidth.....

Will be interesting to see what sort of speeds you get, and if it gets anywhere near the 14Mb/s claimed. What sort of distance apart are the devices?

Most of the powerline stuff I've seen is rated around 10Mbps. With my WEP'd 11Mbps wireless, streaming live TV (somewhere around 700kB/s) didn't work for me.. (well, it would, but every 30 seconds or so, it would run out of video & lag). If it were a 10Mbps wired line, I don't imagine there would be any problems.. WEP+Wireless overhead wouldn't apply. If it's compressed video, you should definitely not have any problems.

The unit connected to the router is in the basement and the family room is on the main floor. I am guessing they're about 25 feet away from each other. Don't know exactly how far the signal travels through the wiring though as its probably a lot further than 25 feet. I'm sure It won't come near the claimed speeds. The CNET review I read said they achieved around 4Mbps which is nowhere close to claimed speeds. i hope it will work fine for compressed video-xvi, Divx, etc....otherwise the big video Hard drive will have to move from the server to the Media box.

Back