• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solder more Vram onto a GTX..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think it works better if you just use duct tape. Or you can just superglue new ram chips on top of the old ones, and extra pins will grow out of the pcb substrate, but only after you melt it slightly with a butane torch.

The core has been tweaked heavily for the 512 version which is why it hits higher clocks. Even if you could figure out how to add ram, it still wouldn't be the 512GTX.

Last edited:
well i'm not going to actually do it i dont have $800+ lying around the house that i couldnt put to better uses, but adding ram to a GPU has been done before.

^^^By end users? I know aftermarket distributors like evga do it all the time, but are you suggesting that someone around here can do it?

For end users I'm going to go ahead and say it's impossible to simply solder on more ram. Just not going to happen.

/thread

brickout said:
^^^By end users? I know aftermarket distributors like evga do it all the time, but are you suggesting that someone around here can do it?

yep, on the voodo cards, the VSA-100 chips were able to hanle 64MB each. and the chips wernt that small that it wasnt hard to add another 32mb onto a card that only had 32 :)

With TSOP ram the rectangular ones with the pins on the sides I see it as feasable. With the advent of BGA GDDR3 and 4 I seriously doubt that anyone could reasonably do it without killing the card. The machines that solder on the ram are at the very least several 100 thousand dollars if not millions and are far more precise and skilled than any human.

I'm not sure exactly how, but I saw some overclocking team on XS soldering BGA ram pulled from a TI4600 to a 9700 Pro several years ago. They probably had access to said machines.

In theory, it should be possible, but don't hold your breath waiting for someone to try.

well it can happen..can he do it? no way in hell. seriously just save up for a 512mb version thats why i did.

problems. you need to solder each tiny contact without damageing any componets. this is done by useing a oven type deal to heat up the solder when the ships are installed to compleat the circut. problem is with the core on your graphics card you can do this without damageing it.

v ram. you need to match the kind model and speed of the ram thats on that card. you can mix and match.

If you can "watch how its made" on the history channel and how they make cpu's. the same deal is how the ram is put on a graphic card as the pins are put on the cpu.

bottom line

you cant do this so dont try it unless you for $300 for a new graphics card in hand and the store has on in stock. If you do and you fail im voteing you as noob of the year beating the kid who cut his 7800gtx to fit in a agp slot.

btw my memory on my 512's is diff than the brand i had on my 256's so i bios swap probley wont work even if you manage to pull a maricle and get the ram on and working.

I will also agree that it's impossible to solder on bga ram, wow, so many pins, so close together and TINY. Doubt it's possible for a human to do something like that, they would be insane at soldering tho is they could.

Impossible I think not!!!

I would have to dissagree, it is possible to add more ram to a video card, this task can be accomplished fairly easily too, I used this mod on an bfg 5700le, That I purchased last year, i also had a ati radion 9200se 128 mb ram sittin so I decided to add the 128 mb of ram to my bfg 5700le, 128 + 128 = 256

Now I am not saying that theres no risk involved, as we all know theres risk with any modification and it also voids your warrenty.

first you will need a very sharp razor knife, the source of your new ram chips (exp. an old video card) , and a place to put the new chips, thermal epoxy, and a heat gun.

first you need to cut the old ram off the old card, now that you have your ram it's time to start this mod remove your video card from your computer, clean all the dust off the card and the chips. mix up your epoxy i like the thermal stuff, (the thermal epoxy actually helps the soldering process) now glue the chips to the open spaces on the vid card, triple checking to make sure you have all your lines straight let the glue dry overnight even if it says ready in 5 minuites, after the glue has set use the heat gun to heat the chip till the solder flashes your done with your first chip now how easy was that. (important solder only one chip at a time and give the board a little bit of time to cool between chips failure to do so can kill the board just like the heat it creates while it's running,

i smell bs in the area of the resoldering ram lmfao.

first off check out the ram on bolth cards. yours is ddr his is ddr3 noob totaly diff. and you cant mix diff types of ram noob so we all know you dident do so just shut up now.

For the record guys you cant take 1 type of ram ic then mix another type into it. they may be the same package such as ddr but the card can only use what it was programed to. if it wasent programed to see that kind and model of ram then it wont. also you can match up the ram and install it and everything is ok then you need a new bios for the extra ram.

Flaming is not allowed. This is not acceptable behavior here. - Voodoo Rufus

twoeyes you just cant do it man just buy the 512mb versions. i got 2 that are going on ebay when i get my 7900's if you want im gonna do a buy now for $150 on them each since i oc'ed them and they will come with no coolers but they run fine. theres outher slight diff. in the cards becides just more v ram and the bios. example your gonna need a butload of surface mount resistors. manik dosent know what hes talking about and is just trying to bs you so you think hes cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manik_Modder said:
I would have to dissagree, it is possible to add more ram to a video card, this task can be accomplished fairly easily too, I used this mod on an bfg 5700le, That I purchased last year, i also had a ati radion 9200se 128 mb ram sittin so I decided to add the 128 mb of ram to my bfg 5700le, 128 + 128 = 256

Now I am not saying that theres no risk involved, as we all know theres risk with any modification and it also voids your warrenty.

first you will need a very sharp razor knife, the source of your new ram chips (exp. an old video card) , and a place to put the new chips, thermal epoxy, and a heat gun.

first you need to cut the old ram off the old card, now that you have your ram it's time to start this mod remove your video card from your computer, clean all the dust off the card and the chips. mix up your epoxy i like the thermal stuff, (the thermal epoxy actually helps the soldering process) now glue the chips to the open spaces on the vid card, triple checking to make sure you have all your lines straight let the glue dry overnight even if it says ready in 5 minuites, after the glue has set use the heat gun to heat the chip till the solder flashes your done with your first chip now how easy was that. (important solder only one chip at a time and give the board a little bit of time to cool between chips failure to do so can kill the board just like the heat it creates while it's running,

yes pics would be lovley and untill i see them i call bs

MoreGooder said:
I can't believe someone could be THAT dumb. Is this just a legend?

http://www.tech-forums.net/showthread.php?threadid=68275&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

7800cut6co.jpg

Back