• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The ethics of air cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ticktock123

Here is the little story...

I have had very high temps using my stock heatsink/fan up to 70C and higher...I then put in 2 120mm fans and the temp didn't drop :bang head (please don't ask about direction i tried them all). So then i had the idea about making it so the fan would blow directly on to the cpu. Here is what i did...

Taking thin sheets of cardboard i cut one to be about a rectangle 10''X5" and i set it up so that the side of the 120mm fan farthest away from the cpu would have one end of the cardboard...and the other end would be on the side of the heatsink's fan that is the farthest away from the 120mm fan. With that i made a sort of ramp that would incase both fans together from that i put on a top and bottom to really make a ramp with sides that would have just the two fans.

The crazy thing about what i did was this...it lowered my temps by as much as 20C and when i open the window (5" away from the back of the computer) and the GREAT freezing MN air hits it (about 30F and lower) i can get that CPU, on a full load, down to about40C and with out load down to 30c. :cool:

Here is the question, what are peoples thoughts on the use of make shift typy deals. if it is worth the trouble or should some one just go buy a real thing. Also i would love to hear the stories of your cooling or if not cooling then what ever you did. :)

KF

that's called ghetto modding

it usually works well if you cant afford better yet, or it's not worth getting better

make sure you're getting good contact with your cpu and hs, make sure you didnt put a lot of thermal compound on

get artic silver 5 and a better hs

i say so what you can .... if you got the little knick knacks around than use it ..really not alot of people come and inspect what you have done to your pc...

but on another note it is nice once you do have the money to replace all the madness..

Back