• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive platters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twoeyes

Are they actually different in each hard drive? For instance theoreticly could I take a same size platter from a different drive and put it into another drive, and stlil have it work the same? Or are they constructed differently? From my understanding its just a metal disk with a special coating, but I could be wrong.

The platters are different between drive makers and even between drives from the same maker, due to bit densities (how many bits per square inch the platter holds). Why are you asking?

Also, off topic, I have the same video card and I'm looking at an NV Silencer. How do you like it and did it fit ok without modification for the video card's power plug?

twoeyes said:
Are they actually different in each hard drive? For instance theoreticly could I take a same size platter from a different drive and put it into another drive, and stlil have it work the same? Or are they constructed differently? From my understanding its just a metal disk with a special coating, but I could be wrong.

Wouldn't work. Each drive (not model, drive) is low level formatted differently. Contrary to what you will hear, it is utterly impossible to low level format a modern hard drive (which means writing the sectors and tracks to the platter). For many reasons, one of which is the embedded servo data on the platters. Not to mention, it would be tough to remove and replace a platter without wrecking the drive and especially, the drive heads. If you let the heads touch ANYTHING but the platter, they are junk (this includes if the head touches the other head). All it takes is pressure and the head is junk. Maybe not right away, but the head will fail.

K15 said:
Wouldn't work. Each drive (not model, drive) is low level formatted differently. Contrary to what you will hear, it is utterly impossible to low level format a modern hard drive (which means writing the sectors and tracks to the platter). For many reasons, one of which is the embedded servo data on the platters. Not to mention, it would be tough to remove and replace a platter without wrecking the drive and especially, the drive heads. If you let the heads touch ANYTHING but the platter, they are junk (this includes if the head touches the other head). All it takes is pressure and the head is junk. Maybe not right away, but the head will fail.

Hmm interesting, why exactly are they so fragile? Is it due to the magnetic properties i'm guessing? I was asking because I was thinking why hasnt someone made a hard drive with swappable platters... :santa:

if you took 2 identical drives, and had some way of safely swapping the platters without destroying the other parts of the drive you coudl prbly do it, but doing such would cost alot more money than it would be worth unless there is some one of a kinda info on there that will net you thousands, if not more.

Back