• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ipaq Makeover

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The first thing is disassembly. Some of the plastic pieces were melt-weled together which meant the welds had to be cut, and will be epoxied back together later.

Here are the plastic peices of the case -

And the hardware-

I had to take the front panel apart, to get to the switch and USB cover.

Here's the front with the switch installed- ugly blue color- I'll paint it hammered black-

You can see on the back the heat welds-

Now I had to get the parts ready for paint- I used a large bowl of very hot water, with dishwashing detergent to wash it. I used a new scotchbrite pad to clean and scuff the plastic for paint, works very well.

Here are the parts drying off-

The front fascia had a big nick in it-

So a little Glazing/Spot putty (automotive) was needed.

Here's the rough application, before I sand it-

Front fascia after sanding smooth the spot putty-

Last edited:
Here it is assembled. The photo below cannot convey just how much better the iPaq looks, the paint came out so well!

Now what am I going to do with this rig?????????????????

I was thinking about using it as a smoothwall- does it need to have 2 ethernet ports to be a firewall, as this has only 1 with no PCI slots available.

As much as I like this little rig, I have no use for it so it will be in the classifieds soon-

Back