• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu degrading?. . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ogerx

so.. about a month ago I had my first taste ever of hardware degrading..(been ocing everything since the 300A@466mhz days..)

I got one of the "bad batches" of ballistix.. I slowly watched them die.. to the point of having errors even at the rated 250mhz no matter the voltage...

soo... 2 days ago my computer started hard-locking in games out of the blue.. all tests still were passing..(prime,super pi, memtest, atitool, etc..) But.. traced it down to my cpu overclock... dropping it to 2.8ghz seemed to fix it.. and just raised it back to 3ghz.. had to up the voltage to 1.6v from 1.55v.. to be stable at 3 again.. was ROCK stable for a month and a half or so at 1.55...

Is this a common thing to be happening "these days" or am I just "Lucky"?

Last edited:
Hmmm that's really strange. On my old socket A rig I had a mobil 2500+ running at 2500mhz no problem, my bro has that comp and it's running rock solid at 2400mhz (For security since he's not into the ocing) and my 3800+ has been running at 2.65ghz for close to two months now with no degredation.

When you lowered your cpu overclock did that lower your ram freq? Maybe it could be your ram again?

nah I don't think it's the ram this time.. memtest 200% stable.. I changed nothing at all lately..(no changes in temps either) just started crashing outta nowhere.. took it back down to 2.8ghz 1.55v for now.. hopefully my water chiller in the works will knock some sense into it...

I'll test the ram theory with a lower divider at 3ghz tho.. nothing better to do atm
*edit* definitely not the ram.. just tried with it at 150mhz.. froze after a couple mins of timeshift demo.

Last edited:
well, new ram came.. so it definitely wasn't the ram.. even with 1.6v on the cpu I'm getting hardlocks @ 3ghz now. . . when it was fine at 3g/1.55v for a couple months rock stable... maybe this was the secret reason amd is discontinuing opterons?(other than the part where they were losing TONS of $.. ?) :shrug:

Back