• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my presler 920 thread, up and running :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

josh478

had a little setback with the bios, had to go to compusa and buy a crappy celeron and got the comp running with that, updated bios and popped in the presler. first observations, its quick for a 2.8. i havent totally updated all the drivers, im in the middle of doing that now. its auto running a divider on my ram, at 3:4 at 267mhz(rated ddr2 533, so already overclocking lol, and at tighter timings then advertised SCORE)

im going to run benchmarks on all this stuff first, because its stock. ill continue to update this thread with results, i hope i got a good oc'ing chip.

temps with big typhoon right now are 30c idle, havent done anything to load it down so i dont know load yet.

wow, with dual prime 95's running, its loading at 50c!!! thats insanely hot! my prescott didnt even hit 40 under full load, this thing is blazing hot!

3dmark01 got 17897 all stock. graphics card is mainly the thing holding it back.

hit a massive wall at 3.7ghz. absolutely will not go above 3.8 even at 1.45v. i think the psu isnt putting out enough juice. going to exchange it for the OCZ single rail with like 38a or something on the 12v. its pretty dang quick at multitasking though, but i didnt spend all this money to hit 3.8, i could have done that with my prescott. i want 4ghz damnit, and im getting upset.

im not sure, but fsb right now is at 230 and voltage is set at auto. i know its the power supply thats casuing me to not go above 3.7. cause even if i lower the fsb to like 225, at set the vcore at 1.425, it wont boot. its definately the power supply. going to get another tomorrow hopefully(if i have time) as well as take back this watercooling stuff and just buy the swiftech apex kit.

josh478 said:
im not sure, but fsb right now is at 230 and voltage is set at auto. i know its the power supply thats casuing me to not go above 3.7. cause even if i lower the fsb to like 225, at set the vcore at 1.425, it wont boot. its definately the power supply. going to get another tomorrow hopefully(if i have time) as well as take back this watercooling stuff and just buy the swiftech apex kit.

what about memory settings? i had replied to you in another post but i got the antec sp2-500 which is not as good as the TP series but im able to hit 4ghz @ 1.375V with no problems. 286fsb with memory @ 357mhz 4-4-4-12 1.9V

If you can, next time you reboot, go into the BIOS and write down your settings. It would really help to see those.

If your voltage is set to auto, that may be all it will do at stock voltage, but let's see those BIOS settings before you change any voltage. You don't want to bunmp voltage until you know the rest of the settings are right. :)

you should hit 4ghz pretty easy given you've got enough cooling. what's your 12v reading under full load?? and as 3DFlyer said, what's your bios setting besides v.core?

current settings are: 100/33.33 for pcie/pci,

246fsb x 14multi
ram settings: auto
voltage(it HATES when i mess with voltage) auto
everything else, auto. my default ram timings are 4-4-4-12 at 266mhz(ddr2 533)

im really positive the psu cant handle the load. ive seen so many threads on what power hogs these are, and even if i turn the fsb down and raise voltage, it wont work. hopefully the OCZ powerstream will solve this. and im returning the watercooling stuff i bought at microcenter, too much of a PITA to assemble it all together, just going to buy the swiftech apex kit. looks like a really good kit.

right now, current readings through AIbooster(find to be high and unaccurate)

1.35vcore
3.36 3.3v
5.15 5v
12.20 12v
cpu(idle) 32
MB 32

josh478 said:
right now, current readings through AIbooster(find to be high and unaccurate)

1.35vcore
3.36 3.3v
5.15 5v
12.20 12v
cpu(idle) 32
MB 32
idle reading means nothing on the PSU, needs full load reading like dual prime/folding/whatever_use_100%_cpu_cycle.

EDIT: I assume you have all the 12v PSU / Motherboard ATX connections in place...

1st, let me tell you that your PSU is more than adequate for 4Ghz. So, before you run out and spend to replace it, let me mention a couple of things:

Its popular around here for people to claim you absolutely MUST have a single rail, 12V @ 30 amp plus PSU for a Presler.

I don't think that is always the case. In fact, I think the ONLY time you MAY need a single rail PSU is if you are super-cooling somehow, and are using very high Vcore (1.55 or more, IMO).

Within their current delivery capabilities, multi-rail PSUs have advantages, system-wide, over single-rail units. Thats the reason you see most of the higher-end commercial / enterprise type units going with this design.

That said, I can tell you that on my P5WD2-E, which is a fairly moderate system power requirement-wise:

(6600 GT video / 2 GB RAM / 1 SATA HDD / 2 DVD- R drives / 920 CPU)

Just to see, I tested a Antec SmartPower (low-end) 450 Watt (17 amps on 12v2 rail, only 15 on 12v1) and my Overclock was exactly the same as on my TPII 550 Antec (19 amps per 12v rail, better regulation, response time, etc..)

FWIW, my Presler OC specs are 1.385v, 4Ghz, and 1.4750v for 4.2Ghz. Either PSU produced same voltage / FSB curve.

You mention your memory is on "auto" and then you quote the timings. I'm not sure which you mean, but I would set the FSB you want (in your case 287), and then go into the memory divider and set it to a DDR value that is NOT overclocked for your particular memory. The DDR number will change when you change the FSB, right in the BIOS.

Then, go to the "chipset" page, and manually set slower timings (5-5-5-15, for example), and make certain that "hyperpath" is disabled.

Set your memory voltage at 1.9v, just to be safe, and your Vcore at around 1.425v for starters (may be able to ramp down, if its OK there - perfectly safe voltage at that level).

I'd run memtest 1st, but if you don't want to or don't have it, I would guess that the above settings should boot windows (could be a bit low on the Vcore, depending on your CPU) and let you do some stability testing to see where you are.

FWIW, just for giggles one time I put an unused Antec SmartPower 350 into my P5WD2-P system, with a 3.0Ghz prescott and it OC'd just fine to 4Ghz. That system had a very light-duty Vid. card, but did have an optical drive and a 4 drive RAID array.

I really expected that the system would be fine with that PSU, and it was. Fine in my case meaning 2xPrime stable for at least 24 hours, PCmark etc.......I really just wanted to remind myself that sometimes you have to mix in a bit of reason with all the hype you read. I did, however, put the bigger PSU back in after the test, though. :)

Good luck.

- Chris

Last edited:
update: it was the PSU. the antec TP2 wasnt enough for over 3.5ghz... i bought the OCZ single rail(33a) and its currently running at 45c IDLE(holy balls thats hot!) and coming down slowly. i raised the bolts to 1.38, which reads 1.43 on the asus monitor. its booting successfully at these levels though, 262 fsb my ram is running 262 for a 1:1 ratio.

also, i just bought a 200gig sata from monarch for 65 plus tax :)
\
im going to order my watercooling when i get home from class tonight, does anyone have any reccomendations as to what site to order a custom swiftech from, or the apex kit? its the only KIT i would purchase.

its running at 71c. im stopping it.

im lowering the vcore until i get water on here, its just way too hot. its now idling at 43c, which is crazy hot. i have lowered the vcore to 1.3375 in bios, and its running at 265fsb. i will update later tonight when i get back from school, but i have to leave in about 15 minutes.

LandShark said:
idle reading means nothing on the PSU, needs full load reading like dual prime/folding/whatever_use_100%_cpu_cycle.

im aware, i had literally just booted the system though.

also, this thing just isnt gonna hit 4ghz without water. its an insanely hot chip, i mean over 70c??? i heard of prescotts doing that and mine never even hit 40, so i figured this one would be near the same, maybe higher. boy was i wrong. gonna have to get that water on asap or just run it stock until OCZ phase comes out.

last update for today:

at 3.7ghz with dual primes, it hit 70c and was still climbing. i quickly stopped and lowered it. im running with lowered voltage and 3.2ghz with a 229fsb. the power supply KICKS MAJOR BUTT. THIS THING CAN CRANK OUT POWER.

my case might need more fans, but thats a project for this weekend when i can get my grinder and air compressor. i have just ordered my swiftech apex kit, and i have a bad habbit of placing orders near the weekend, so im guessing it wont be here until like next thursday-friday, as i chose the 8.50 shipping option(hope it gets here period!) leaving on low fsb until water gets here. when it does, im going to make sure that the water is about 34-35 Farenheit when i put it in the tubing so that i can at least get a4ghz suicide just for my own personal satisfaction.

Last edited:
Josh,
When you get the CPU cooling under control, you will see just how good that OCZ really is. It WILL crank out the power just like you said. You will have no problem going to 5GHz if the CPU is capable. The OCZ520ADJ will clock as high as anything will do out there. It has more than enough power to do anything you could ask of it with the current technology out there. Now if a 10GHz chip were to come along that's an entirely different matter, but that won't be happening for a good long while.

Check the OCZ with a DMM. You will be amazed at what you see when you load it. It will not droop. Don't use software, use a DMM through a molex so you are checking it as it comes off the rail. It will NOT droop. It stays stable as a rock. If you have a DMM you may also want to dial in your rails.

Not only are those OCZ's gerogeous, but they have the performance to match their looks. It ain't a cheap PSU in a pretty package. Electrically, I don;t think you'll finsd a more sound PSU. It has shielded cables, and I haven't see that on any other PSU available.

OCZ's Rock! They really do. I know, because I own one. hehe :)

Do those temps seem a little high to anyone else?

Josh are you sure you have proper contact with the big typhoon? Perhaps you need to lap the cpu? I have the BT also and run 287fsb w/ 1.38vcore day to day. Temps are about 46c idle and 60c fully loaded.

josh478 said:
its running at 71c. im stopping it.

im lowering the vcore until i get water on here, its just way too hot. its now idling at 43c, which is crazy hot. i have lowered the vcore to 1.3375 in bios, and its running at 265fsb. i will update later tonight when i get back from school, but i have to leave in about 15 minutes.

Although I don't have temp problems, I could not even boot into windows at anything less then 1.4 vcore at 265 fsb!

3DFlyer said:
Josh,
When you get the CPU cooling under control, you will see just how good that OCZ really is. It WILL crank out the power just like you said. You will have no problem going to 5GHz if the CPU is capable. The OCZ520ADJ will clock as high as anything will do out there. It has more than enough power to do anything you could ask of it with the current technology out there. Now if a 10GHz chip were to come along that's an entirely different matter, but that won't be happening for a good long while.

Check the OCZ with a DMM. You will be amazed at what you see when you load it. It will not droop. Don't use software, use a DMM through a molex so you are checking it as it comes off the rail. It will NOT droop. It stays stable as a rock. If you have a DMM you may also want to dial in your rails.

Not only are those OCZ's gerogeous, but they have the performance to match their looks. It ain't a cheap PSU in a pretty package. Electrically, I don;t think you'll finsd a more sound PSU. It has shielded cables, and I haven't see that on any other PSU available.

OCZ's Rock! They really do. I know, because I own one. hehe :)

yeah, i have a DMM. ill check everything out and dial it all in when my swiftech apex gets here. im really excited about that, hopefully i can keep these temps inline.

also, about lapping the cpu... do mean the actual chip? i dont feel comfortable doing that to a chip... if you meant to the heatsink, then yeah it might need that. i put AS5 on there, doesnt seem like its doing much. i lowered the vcore to 1.3 and running 3.2ghz with no problems. idle temps are 38c... im scared to see what full load is. im just going to stop messing with it for now, until i can get the water here.

josh478 said:
i lowered the vcore to 1.3 and running 3.2ghz with no problems. idle temps are 38c... im scared to see what full load is. im just going to stop messing with it for now, until i can get the water here.

Sounds like your chip is the same PoS as mine. Mine will run 3.5ghz - 250 fsb perfectly, but any higher and the vcore demands go throught he roof. Basically this chip just sucks!!

Back