• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

May not water cool now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

opsed121

Registered
I was reading this forum for quite sometime trying to decide to WC. I did decide then went out and bought the following items.

ClearFLEX 60 Tubing 1/2" ID / 5/8" OD 12 ft
Swiftech Apogee Extreme water block
Black Ice Pro II Dual 120mm Radiator - Black
Barb Size: 1/2" Chrome Fittings
Zerex Racing Super Coolant - 4oz Bottle
Dangerden Fillport - Silver
didn't buy a pump

The Apogee won't work on my Socket A and I don't want to spend more $$$ on a Socket 939 64 system jusy to accomadate that Block.
I know this pic is of an 8rda+, but my A7N8X is the same layout, same problem.

anyone interested in these items email me, or I might trade the Apogee for a nice looking black and silver mcw6000 for socket A

Attachments

• pic 003.jpg
    pic 003.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
why dony you try and jerry rig something up to use it on your soket A? or maybe just buy a difrent block? i dunno jsut seems like kinda a waste. im prety sure if you tried you could make something work, like maybe get the mounting stuff for the 6000 and use them in some jerry riged way to make it clamp on the soket A bracket? im jsut throughing out ideas for you i would buy the block for my opty but im thinking im going to go either quiet air or phase change. well at any rate i hope you get what you want for the stuff and good luck
3vil

Actually all I need to do is put it to a bench grinder and grind away the fin that is hitting the caps, and I know I could do it about 3 minutes, after the clearance to to caps is good I'll use the motherboard bolt on method,but the thought of doing that to a nice shiny silver piece of equipment doesn't seem right, and believe me I love to mod or improve everything.

Last edited:
i had to rig something up to fit an mcw6002 to my mobo. it took 1 day to make a bracket for the hold down clips and an extra day to make a backplate after i found out i had 4 mounting holes on the mobo and decided to go with that. it really should be that hard to make a bracket as long as you have a dremel, some aluminum and some nuts and bolts.

opsed121 said:
Actually all I need to do is put it to a bench grinder and grind away the fin that is hitting the caps, and I know I could do it about 3 minutes, after the clearance to to caps is good I'll use the motherboard bolt on method,but the thought of doing that to a nice shiny silver piece of equipment doesn't seem right, and believe me I love to mod or improve everything.

Go for it!!! Half of the fun of this forum, and half (if not more) of the idea behind this forum, is to make "stuff" do what you want it to do, not what it's manufacturer wanted it to do. The manufacturer may never have even thought of what you want/need. So, just make it work. Take your time, do as a professional a job as possible, but don't be afraid to modify! In this case, grind away :)

Instead of calling the quits.. I think a good solution would be this:

- Get a 1/2" piece or whatever thickness piece you need for clearance of plexi
- Cut it to the dimensions to fit in between the block and top mounting plate
- Get longer 6-32 screws
- Screw the block in

Seems like a really easy solution actually.. and you should still maintain plenty good enough contact, as long as whatever you use as a wedge is somewhat flat.

IMO this would look MUCH nicer than cutting away at the plate too..

edit: you dont even have to use plexi really.. just about any solid material would work just fine. (ie. wood) either shouldnt take longer than 30 minutes from beginning to end to mount the block.

Back