• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Team Glasslicker Interactive Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I second the external box on top, if you can make/find a box that goes well with your current case I think it will flow better with everything, and look cleaner with a window.

Essentially what I have in mind is pretty much like an external mounted rad, but have the external box just to make it look cleaner. Keep throwing around ideas and in the end we'll find something that suits you well.

BTW what other sorts of restrictions/preferences do you have with design/placement of things, I'm sure we'd all like to find what will best fit what you have in mind and will also go beyond what you imagine :D.

crazy you have parts and cant use them?

every system I have build thus far has 1 week research time, order, 1 day delivery, build in 2 hours, 1 hour install, drivers test test programs etc. :)
OMG I would die... have fun

why can't you you one of those bays that mount in 1 or 2 5.25 drives? Thats what I would do but I have no expirience with water cooling so tell me where my concept is (most likely) wrong. Thats what I want to do in my current draft... in the far corner of my brain

germanjulian said:
crazy you have parts and cant use them?

every system I have build thus far has 1 week research time, order, 1 day delivery, build in 2 hours, 1 hour install, drivers test test programs etc. :)
OMG I would die... have fun

Oh no. I can use them...that's not the problem. I'm really trying to utilize everyone else's thoughts to avoid mistakes. Further, I think that a group working together can help me end up with a really nice beginning builder/modder PC that I can be proud of and enjoy tweaking.

To many on this board I am certain that my build/water mod is quite vanilla or even boring as most experienced people could wrap it up in a day.

My other concern is that without discussing design with those more knowledgable, I would have spent a bunch of money to realize less than acceptable performance/results due to poor design.

Remember, this is my very first attempt at building a PC. Further, it's my first water cooling venture. I'm in a little over my head although I believe capable of pulling it off.

I'm really hoping to have a positive, successful experience this go-round so I'll want to do something far more aggresive next go-round.

Finally, I enjoy chatting with people and exchanging ideas. This is fun for me as it helps me to see things outside my normal thought process.

As for being impatient, you bet. It drives me crazy that I'm still playing on my P4 and my sissy ATI 800se 128 card ! Still, I think a little careful consideration on the front side is going to help me avoid a whole lot of mistakes and spare parts.

So, you're experienced. Share some of it and help us out. Your thoughts on components and design ?

Good afternoon,

After rereading this entire thread and especially everyone's suggestions, I think we can solidify rad placement.

I for whatever reason (skeered maybe ? lol) am not comfortable doing an
in-case install.

This is my first build. I have so much to ingest, that I'd like to keep significant case hacking to a minimum.

I like the rad on top, externally mounted drawing ambient room air. I still couldn't find a true test of internal versus external rad mounts and system temps at load. Still, I can't help thinking that drawing room air through rad is likely cooler than drawing case air but I have nothing to back up this comment.

I like the idea of either finding a small case or having one built to support/cover rad. The TJ06 case has a brushed aluminum face which I suspect can be matched easily from a wide variety of sources.

So, unless someone threatens to throw themselves on a pencil, I'd like to move forward with an external mount, in a modified case, to set on top of PC case in order to keep tube lengths to a minimum.

I am quite comfortable mounting case to case with screws and drilling two holes in the top of case to run barbs and tubes aka Flip Mode's picture above.

Frozen CPU's modded watercooled Lian Li case is also a great example; however, we need space between the rad and case as we aren't drawing case air, and I couldn't find the valves although I searched high and low.

Here's the Li case if you're wondering:

cas-312.jpg

cas-312_3.jpg

So we have two choices I think.

1) Find a brushed aluminum case the ensconces the rad and fans, then cut top and bottom using the template I have. Attach to top of PC case using delrin legs to allow for flow.

or

2) Find a brushed aluminum case with built in space so that case acts as a spacer and vent it.

The first seems easier. Thoughts ?

I'm going to go search for cases. If anyone knows of a good place to be looking, please point me in the general direction.

Hopefully, I'll come back with examples.

To everyone. I am really enjoying this. Thanks so much for taking the time !!!!!

Gah, I wanted to help but when I read that you didnt like anything with plastic or anything complicated I got disheartened.

Flip's last suggestion wouldnt work. You would have to forget about a fan over the PSU then. External mounting or mounting at the bottom of the case seems more practicle. I also had an idea for a simple yet cool way to mount it to the side panel. Sadly, you already have a window. If you are willing to call up and order a new side panel, I think the rad on the window Idea might work, not sure how long it really is tho.

Iv got a few more ideas for other things but nothing to do with rad placement besides the idea i gave above.

EDIT:
Read the post in its entierty above. Ok, thats exactly what I was thinking to. An incase is dificult and cluttersome. However the Panel mount is still an idea that wouldnt require "hacking" of the case.

Last edited:
glasslicker said:
So, unless someone threatens to throw themselves on a pencil, I'd like to move forward with an external mount, in a modified case, to set on top of PC case in order to keep tube lengths to a minimum.

*lunges onto pencil* x.x

hehe, nah, j/k. The idea of an external top mount is cool for me, and I was rather attracted to the aspect of those pictures. Very nice.

Son1990 said:
Gah, I wanted to help but when I read that you didnt like anything with plastic or anything complicated I got disheartened.

Flip's last suggestion wouldnt work. You would have to forget about a fan over the PSU then. External mounting or mounting at the bottom of the case seems more practicle. I also had an idea for a simple yet cool way to mount it to the side panel. Sadly, you already have a window. If you are willing to call up and order a new side panel, I think the rad on the window Idea might work, not sure how long it really is tho.

Iv got a few more ideas for other things but nothing to do with rad placement besides the idea i gave above.

We'd love to hear any ideas you have.

Perhaps I was a little strong in voicing my distaste for plastic. As an example, I am not fond of some of the of the new plastic computer cases that appear to be the rage.

As for complexity, I apologize for that. As stated above, I'm trying to get through this first one before undertaking any serious mod. Unfortunately, I am one of those poeple that hates doing a less than satisfacoty job on anything.

I saw a mod done by a guy in which the rads were installed on side panel. It came out great.

I'd like to keep the window for now. As a newb, I like shiny things ! lol

So please, feel free to pipe up. Besides, we will likely need your Delta expertise in the event the Panaflo's don't cut it !

Sometimes loud is good !

Well I just surfed until my head hurt. No luck finding a stock brushed aluminum or any aluminum box that meets our needs. I'll call a mfgr tomorrow and get a quote on a custom box. SHould 40.00 or so.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

Pwnt By Pat here on OCF is selling custom made fiberglass shrouds for radiators. He will also paint them to a mirror finish. It might be of interest to PM him and see what he would be willing. The prices are very reasonable.

Need to order some more stuff.

First, anyone opposed to twin Swifty 655's ?

Also, thoughts on a res and placement would be good. We can utilize a standard 2 bay typhoon placed where Flip suggested, although I suspect we may want to install 4 inch screen there. Or, we can purchase or maybe even build an acryllic cyl. res. It could be mounted to rear wall between 5.25 bay and mobo, horizontally on case floor, or even externally.

Survey says ?

Midnight Dream said:
Pwnt By Pat here on OCF is selling custom made fiberglass shrouds for radiators. He will also paint them to a mirror finish. It might be of interest to PM him and see what he would be willing. The prices are very reasonable.

I'd love to, but I am a star or two short of viewing the classifieds.

If you have his exact forum name, I'd be grateful. If I find it first, I'll PM you.

Thanks for the suggestion !

glasslicker said:
Good afternoon,

After rereading this entire thread and especially everyone's suggestions, I think we can solidify rad placement.

I for whatever reason (skeered maybe ? lol) am not comfortable doing an
in-case install.

This is my first build. I have so much to ingest, that I'd like to keep significant case hacking to a minimum.

I like the rad on top, externally mounted drawing ambient room air. I still couldn't find a true test of internal versus external rad mounts and system temps at load. Still, I can't help thinking that drawing room air through rad is likely cooler than drawing case air but I have nothing to back up this comment.

I like the idea of either finding a small case or having one built to support/cover rad. The TJ06 case has a brushed aluminum face which I suspect can be matched easily from a wide variety of sources.

I am quite comfortable mounting case to case with screws and drilling two holes in the top of case to run barbs and tubes aka Flip Mode's picture above.

Frozen CPU's modded watercooled Lian Li case is also a great example; however, we need space between the rad and case as we aren't drawing case air, and I couldn't find the valves although I searched high and low.

Here's the Li case if you're wondering:

cas-312.jpg

cas-312_3.jpg

So we have two choices I think.

1) Find a brushed aluminum case the ensconces the rad and fans, then cut top and bottom using the template I have. Attach to top of PC case using delrin legs to allow for flow.

or

2) Find a brushed aluminum case with built in space so that case acts as a spacer and vent it.

The first seems easier. Thoughts ?

I'm going to go search for cases. If anyone knows of a good place to be looking, please point me in the general direction.

Hopefully, I'll come back with examples.

To everyone. I am really enjoying this. Thanks so much for taking the time !!!!!
Those pictures look great, I think if you mounted the radiator a couple inches higher uses some sort of pedestals to mount it on top of the case it would look really cool and get good ambient airflow.

glasslicker, what about the spacers idea if you can't get a box for the rad?
If you are getting a box it would start looking bulky IMO.

EDIT: You can place an order for the 665's and tubing and clamps and such.

@glasslicker
When I said mounting the rad on the side panle, we can still had windows so you can look inside. It would be ideal for you would also have the fans blowing on the actual components. I say chop up those panaflos and get some nice Deltas! :)

If by two Swiftech 655's you mean two Swiftech D5's, then yes, thats one amazing pump and running two in series would be amazing! I love mine.

Son1990 said:
If by two Swiftech 655's you mean two Swiftech D5's, then yes, thats one amazing pump and running two in series would be amazing! I love mine.
Yeah, when Swifty sells them they are 665's but DD calls them D5's. Same pump as you know.

Son1990, show us a picture of the concept if you can or scribble something out. I looked at the case and tried to visualize, I guess that the rad could be hung/mounted on the cases left side window although I'm not sure how it would be supported. Be happy to take a look. So share it with the team !

Flip, I still like the spacers idea. Here is a mock up with delrin spacers as a visual. My dad gets back in town today. He's a former programmer for the Apollo space missions and shuttle so he has MAD math skills ! lol. He'll calculate minimum spacer length in order to avoid inhibiting flow:

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

As for bulky, I think that it is a potential concern. If however, we can find or have someone build a box that acts as a skin meaning no space left over inside the box, I think we'll be fine. If it looks horrific, we'll go with rad and and fan combo only.

As for tubing, any suggestions ? Tygon or Clearflex ? 7/16 ID w/ 5/8 OD, or 1/2 ID 3/4 OD ? Will 10 feet cover it ?

Last edited:
Thats exactly the look I was going for and how I pictured it in my head!
As for tubing I've read the 7/16" is easier to work with, I'll check around the posts and see what I come up with.

EDIT: Yup, the 7/16 seems to be nice. I would go for the ClearFlex.

Last edited:
Back