• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor is wavey?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scaredeasy

Here's the deal. I am on my second monitor with Dell. The first one I had replaced was becoming wavey. I was told through Dell that the problem could have been the monitor, but it could have also been the mother board/video card. Well, I tried hooking the monitor up to my laptop and got the same problem. It has been two/three weeks since I received and have been using the replacement monitor and I am getting the same results. Could it be electrical within my apartment building? Is it because I have the speakers are less than a foot away? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Check around for anything that could be causing interference. It shouldn't be your speakers. They're designed so that they won't cause problems like that.

When I was in college and got my first computer I hooked it all up, and when I turned it on my monitor was all wavy. I tried all kinds of stuff to fix it with no luck, then I tried moving my electric toothbrush which I had sitting in its charger on my dorm room desk away from the monitor. Just like that the problem was fixed. It could be something random.

scaredeasy said:
Here's the deal. I am on my second monitor with Dell. The first one I had replaced was becoming wavey. I was told through Dell that the problem could have been the monitor, but it could have also been the mother board/video card. Well, I tried hooking the monitor up to my laptop and got the same problem. It has been two/three weeks since I received and have been using the replacement monitor and I am getting the same results. Could it be electrical within my apartment building? Is it because I have the speakers are less than a foot away? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
CRT or LCD? If CRT, it could be some weird magnetic field. Try unplugging anything electrical you may have anywhere near it. Also try moving it to the other side of the room.

Are you using a DVI cable on a 2005 FPW or 2405 FPW or 2001? If so increase your horizontal geometry (refresh) slowly until it goes away. If your graphics card doesn't have the option use powerstrip. Its free for 1 year. If its not external interferance then this will solve the problem most of the time.

I do not know which type of monitor I am using. What I do know is that it is an old box type. Anyway, I do not have time this evening, but I will try moving the equipment to another location tomorrow. I also downloaded "Powerstrip", but am unsure on how to increase my horizontal geometry. I did not see that option. Any other/more suggestions.... I am willing to try them all. Thank you all for your time.

Try to make sure you don't have anything around it that could possibly interfere. Radios, fans, even some flourescent light can cause this sort of problem.

I also agree with moving the monitor to a different area of the room.

This morning I hooked my monitor up to my laptop. I was trying to see if the problem would occur on the laptop again. It did occur. Next I removed the monitor from its location and hooked it up (along with the laptop) in another room. I did not see the problem in the other location. I kept moving from location to location and never saw the problem again. So I was getting ready to move the whole computer desk thinking it was the outlet or something. Then before I moved everything I tried the monitor "close" to, but away from where it usually sits, same outlet. The problem did not exsist. I then came to the conclusion that it had to be something in the area interfering with the monitor. The only thing I could think of and havent attempted to move was the Linksys wireless router that I have which sits under a ledge that the monitor sits on. Since moving the router I have not seen the wavey lines. Im glad all is well. I was really getting upset. Thank you all for your help. Good Times.

scaredeasy said:
The only thing I could think of and havent attempted to move was the Linksys wireless router that I have which sits under a ledge that the monitor sits on. Since moving the router I have not seen the wavey lines. Im glad all is well. I was really getting upset. Thank you all for your help. Good Times.

You may find that it isn't the router but the transformer for the router, do not put transformers near CRT monitors like yours.

My brother had his belkin UPS sitting next to his CRT. Caused a 2 inch section on the right side to become purple that can only be removed temporarily by degaussing. Hopefully after a few weeks in its new location, it will stop!

JT

I have a plug directly behind my monitor on the wall. I used to have the transformer for my DSL modem plugged into it. My screen was always wavy. Got even worse in the summer when the AC (Different plug, across room, same circuit) was on. Removing the transformer fixed it for the most part. I still get wavy screen if the AC is on.

Powerlines behind the wall/monitor will also mess with it if it has a high load on it (fridge, AC, Dryer) In my case I don't have much option unless I go LCD, or rip the wall apart and move the outlet/wiring. Not using the plug helps the most though.

(short story, the last place I worked, a woman always complained about her monitor 'waving'. I would replace it and it would continue doing it. She sat facing a cinderblock wall. It took me a week to figure it out. On the other side of the wall, was one of the main circuit panels for the factory. We had to move her monitor 5' from the wall for the waving to stop.)

Lee

Back