• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming and *nix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you basically need to pay for this program called cedega and I hear it can run linux games just about as well as windows does.

hmm lets see games ive personally played in linux

rtcw
ut2004
doom3
counter-strike
dod
starcraft
diablo 2
world of warcraft

native linux games play well on linux (but these are few, rtcw/ut2k4/doom3, are native)

the others played fine as well, but they are not really hardware intensive anymore (played them with cedega)

i used gentoo btw

my bad guys.. I knew I read this somewere at some time..
thanks

Wow...that's a BUNCH of stuff. I'm not sure how old the quoted post is, but nowadays, ati is not as bad. They are actively developing and distributing linux drivers for their video cards from their site. Nvidia is still a bit ahead in terms of linux development, but ati is making up some ground.

As far as gaming, linux is decent. Definitely not a gamers OS yet. Several companies develop linux ports for their games to run natively...notably id software, makers of quake, etc.

Others (the majority) do not, and you have to rely on wine and cedega. Transgaming has a games database on their site that shows the compatibility of windows games on linux:
http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

I don't think any specific distro would be any better than another. The main factor would be how bloated your specific install is. You can always tweak the kernel to get the most out of it.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Hope it helped :)

sorry.. I posted before I took another look.. :(

I dont like the idea of killing the post though.. I might add that I was currious about ATI drivers..

and what distros of linux run well (kind of a mute point since most will run the app.)

the quote was from today..

and bloated is a good way to think say it.. Ive tried installing a few distro's on a old machine and man.. I couldn't stand how slow it was to try to fix it.. :(

are there distro's that are not bloated to begin with (or you can fine tune the bloat LOL)

For someone new to linux (like me), Ubuntu seems to be really nice. The download is just one cd, vs SUSE's dvd, tp give you an idea. I've also tried OpenSUSE, Mandriva, and Fedora, and I like Ubuntu the best so far. And you can always use the built in package manager (synaptic) to remove any extras you don't want. It runs nice on an old pentium 2 450 I set up as a server. I use it on my main rig also.

I'm sure you'll get PLENTY of suggestions, so just go with what you like :)

synaptic is to be used for reference only. It can really bork your system. Use apt-get instead. Take my word from a debian veteran :)

gigahertz said:
synaptic is to be used for reference only. It can really bork your system. Use apt-get instead. Take my word from a debian veteran :)
Why is that? Isn't synaptic basically just an apt-get gui? I've never used debian, but in Ubuntu I've never had a problem from installing/uninstalling something with synaptic

ok.. apt-get is the old school dabian utility..does it do uninstals, I think it does (Ive read about it.. my first reaserch in linux was on Dabian's site)..
Im conserned about BLOAT.. is there a guide somewere on how to slim down your install with dabian or one of its disto's..?

btw.. I like the idea of Gentoo but I dont think this old machine would be up to snuff for it..

and anyone have a recomendation for a GUI thats light on resorces but not so light on looks as IceWM?

gigahertz said:
It's never given me any trouble, but then again, I only used it for about four or five months, before using Apt-Get full time.

TeuffelHunden said:
Why is that? Isn't synaptic basically just an apt-get gui? I've never used debian, but in Ubuntu I've never had a problem from installing/uninstalling something with synaptic

Synaptic is just a GUI that allows you to do everything that you can in Apt-Get, but Synaptic takes up more memory, slows everything else down, etc.

Yes, you have used Debian, because Ubuntu is Debian-Based. :cool:

Back