• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smoothie Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghettocomp

Master of teh Ghetto Mods
Smoothisphere

There is nothing exciting about watching paint dry on my Big Box computer currently in construction, and there is a lot to dry :)

During this time I had a lot to think about. To be exact, it was the security needs of my BIG BOX PROJECT. I had known for a while that it needed its own firewall/DHCP service just to keep it isolated from the network/internet. the first thought was to just insert a small mobo, one of those VIA types to be exact, and be done. But then, I then thought.. "I Don't want to take up any space inside the Big Box just for a firewall" ..I need the space for some real computing.

I was looking arount the 'net and saw an idea, that I could do similar. AND, to which I actually had most of the parts to complete.. fairly quickly! And wow, it was like fireworks, Ideas, scrounging for parts... y'all know the drill and drivel involved. This project is going to be like crack for modders. You'll see, And Yeah It is going to be cool :cool:

To try and make the story short for those that are bored as I am, and want some excitement, I decided right then to give my modding skills a little more extreme experience. Of course there may be some changes on the way, what fun would it be if there were not?

Oh, and Did I mention that the other half (wife) is not going to be pleased?

I present to you:

..Smoothisphere..​

an Idea I saw on he Metku.net site, And I am hoping to get it to look somewhat like this :D combined with a few materials and some other schtuff, I think that I can get it very close!

The next few posts are a pictoral list of some of the many things that will be used. Of course some things will change during the course of the mod, but you will get the idea!

Last edited:
It will fit, Tight but the motherboard will fit. Then there will be the Hard drive,
the Network cards, PSU (not sure where it will go yet), and the Optical Drive
smooth01.JPG

Just How will I get stuff inside... Hmmm..
smooth02.JPG

One of the Network Cards I will use, I need 2 of these along with the built in one on
the motherboard.
smooth03.JPG

smooth04.JPG

The Base for the PC. This is from an old ViewSonic Monitor that Capped out on me, (quite literally!) inside this base is a USB hub that is still serviceable. and will provide all (nearly) the connections I need to the motherboard inside.
smooth05.JPG

Last edited:
Of course a tasty idea of how it will fit together..
smooth06.JPG

Now you are starting to see it.. :D
smooth07.JPG

The bottom of the stand with a view of where I believe I can get the air to
exhaust from. Getting it inside will be the trick, but I have one of those (tricks) for that :D
smooth08.JPG

Another shot of the USB Hub on the backside..
smooth09.JPG

Last edited:
Oh no...another one! TAKE COVER!
I Love your mods man, lets see how this one works out.

First Cuts being made, this plastic globe is almost too thin, but will
not cut with any razor knife. The hacksaw will have to do that.
smooth11.JPG

The first rough cut is done. Now I have to measure for the cuts where
the motherboard will have to protrude through. Keep in mind that this is
only the inner shell.
smooth12.JPG

smooth13.JPG

This bad pic is of the plastic channel that will be used to re-enforce the
edges, also will give assistance in joining the two halvs together.
smooth14.JPG

More tomorrow. This is all I had time for today.

you come up with the coolest mods!! (this project reminds me of the alien pc that you did!!) I thought that the globe was GLASS when I first saw it!! good choice man.

Last edited:
The Wife kept my butt busy all weekend so far, didnt get a chance to do squat on this.
maybe I can do a little more tonight or early A.M. after I get a trip to Home depot, I got
an idea to keep this looking very cool, and keep the weight down. the stuff I needed
to use to create the outer shell was pretty heavy, and I dont want that. So now I have
to start a little prep work , then get this back underway :D

I started things by taking apart the base, I needed to find channels by which
air could be forced into and out of this little mod. possibly I may need to filter
the air. It is getting dusty around here with no rain for the last 110+ days.

The bottom of the old monitor base:
smooth15.JPG

Each rubber foot held the screw that held the two halves of the base together
I removed each one:
smooth24.JPG

Inside was the USB Hub I indend to use, First I have to remove to check just
where this thing gets its voltage to work from. the connector attached is
normally attached to the back of the monitor, I guess that is where it gets its
power from, but I have to find just what voltages it uses,
smooth23.JPG

Now I had bad news. Found a couple of burned traces in the circuit board,
Well, I guess that when the monitor capped out, it took out the hub as well.
Might explain why it quit working a couple of days before the monitor quit.
smooth22.JPG

I guess that leaves a little more room to add some other mods. I just might
put a small network hub inside, similar to My Mini-HTPC build. The hubs I like
are just about the right size to do this with :D Also will have to get my hands
on a small USB Hub to replace this monster.

I started the cuts where I needed to notch the globe. AAAAARRGH! bad stuff to cut by hand!
smooth21.JPG

Cutting this stuff is very frustrating, then I realized that I had A tool that would
make a difference and could be fun. I present to you available (on sale) only $10
at my local Auto Parts Store, The cheap A** hole cutter. Sorta like a
Dremel on big bad Steroids :D
smooth20.JPG

Works great! I was able to rough cut all the slots and the larger hole was cut
in record time. If only I had thought of this sooner! the tools like this I bought
origionally to craft some cabinets for my kitchen, but that aint (is that a word?) gonna be no ghetto job!!
smooth19.JPG

A great side effect for having to cut the larger hole was this:
smooth17.JPG

smooth17.JPG

I would be able to gain access directly to the motherboard after the shell was
fully assembled. Almost as good as having the back plate in place. After a little
more trimming and mounting of some clips to hold the shells in alignment I will
begin covering the globe with the outer shell material and work out the details.
Also to be done is the modification of the PSU I intend to use.
Since a full size one will not fit, I will have to use the customized one I
have on hand. It was going to fit in my Alien PC but this need is greater at the
moment, Plus I am feeling so much like not doing another for a little while :)

Leave it up to ghetto to stuff a computer into something random (again, and again). You make the modding forum interesting man, I always love to see what you are up to. So that's pretty much all to say...

"Subscribed"

Hope to see the end result.

lol Ghetto you think of some of the coolets things man. I have got to see this.

Lotec25

Back