• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "Know it all"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ticktock123

Here is a general question i have been looking for the answer to for a while.

I am slightly above the avg user and so i know a bit about computers and such. here is my question: What or Where can i find something that encases almost everything about computers? :shrug: What i mean by that is this, If i want to know what the 4 numbers for the timing of Memory mean i look in X. If i want to know what the rail volts for a PSU is i look in X. And so on,

I would LOVE it if there is some sort of online book or real book that anyone knows of that has a wide (but good) know how on computers and such. Thank you...

This place isnt good enough for you for that purpose? I didnt ask that in a mean tone so dont get the wrong idea. :p Typically the stickies provide just that sort of info. Anything else can be obtained fairly easily by googleing or just asking. I have found most of what I needed here. When finding out the subtle parts of the new DFi board im playing with the DFI forums and their OC guides helped fill the rest. They have a GREAT read on overclocking A64s. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

Either way have fun. :)

JT

ROCK! :D thanks much, do you know of any handy books (those things that are made from paper, crazy haha) because when i go and trouble shoot a friends computer i would LOVE something like that.

MaximumPC puts out a special edition every once and awhile that highlights and goes over every part of your PC. It has pages and pages of motherboards, PSUs, RAM, cooling, you name it.

One of the reasons I am so enthralled by computers is the simple fact that there IS so very much to know-

Any time I get bored by one aspect, I can find something else. :)

Games were great...for a while.
Now I get pretty bored by most within a few days.

Windows kept me going for a few years, but I lost all interest in it eventually too.

Linux has been good for a few years now, and still seems to be keeping me involved, but it may pall at some point too.

My point is this:

With so many aspects to computers, it is hard to find ONE source for all your information.
That is one of the reasons I have been here so long: when I have a question about something, SOMEBODY here either has the answer or can point me in the right direction. ;)

I book that has all the info contained of OCF would be so thick you would not be able to pick it up! LOL I'm not sure a book exactly like what you're looking for exists. At the rate technolgy increases, the book would be obsolete before it was finished. I say get a cellphone or PDA with a web browser and have OCF running when you go to fix a freinds PC.

Back