• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-= Get Your Volt Mods Here! =-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doctor

Well, after numerous daily requests for links, and "How To's" on Volt Modding your mobo's, I have compiled a list of all of them that I have.

If anyone wants to add more, not listed here, please do. :)

If you figure out a new one that you don't see for some new piece of hardware, please add it to the list :)

All suggestions and experiences are welcome with open arms!

And, Keep-Em-Coming!

Here we go...........

Shuttle AK31 Rev 2 or 3.1 that I wrote Here

Shuttle Ak31 VMem, VIO, VCore Here.

Shuttle AK35GTR/ AK31 VIO, VMem, Volt Mod, 5V Mod Here.

Epox 8KHA+Here, and Here.

IWill KK266 Here

Abit - KR7A + KG7 Vcore, Vmem, Vio mods Here

Gigabyte 7DXR Here

Gigabyte GA-7VRXP at the bottom of the page Here.

Asus A7A/A7M 266 Here

Asus A7V266-E Here.

You will find all of the Mods Below,Here:

Abit KT7 and KT7A series to 2,07 Volt and more
AOpen AK73 Pro (A) to 2,15 Volt and more
Asus A7V Vcore to 2,13 Volt (max. 2,45 Volt)
Vcore, VIO and VAGP solder guide for ENMIC 8KAX+
ENMIC 8TCX+ to 2,06 Volt and more
ENMIC (NMC) 8TTX+ to 2,08 Volt and more
Vcore, VIO and VAGP solder guide for Epox 8K7A
EPOX 8KHA to 2,06 Volt and more
EPOX 8KTA3 to 2,06 Volt and more
EPOX 8KTA3+ to 2,08 Volt and more
MSI K7T Pro/Pro 2-A to 2,07 Volt (max. 2,97 V)
MSI K7T Turbo to 2,15 Volt and more

MSI KT3 Ultra by freshy98 here.

You will find all of the mods below,Here:

EPoX BX6-SE
Abit KT7
ASUS A7V
MSI K7T Pro

An you will find the ones below, here

Shuttle AK31/35GTR
EPoX 8KHA Series
Leadtek 7350KDA
Shuttle AK31
Tyan Tiger MP (S2460)
ASUS A7M & A7A266
IWill KK266 Series
MSI K7T Pro/Pro2/A
ASUS A7V/A7V133
ABIT KT7/KT7A
EPoX 8KTA3
EPoX 7KXA
EPoX BX6-SE

You will find the ones below here, (In German)

Abit KX7-333R
Abit-AT-7
Abit KT7
Epox EP-4BDA2+
Epox 8KTA2
Asus P4T-E
MSI K7T266 Pro2 /RU
Epox 8KHA/+
Asus A7V266-E
Asus A7V / A7V133
Abit KR7A / KG7

MSI KT4VL & KT4 Ultra here.

I have included some pictures of the "Pomona Grabber", (I like the name...:eek: ) used in some of these mods.

One of our members, Larry Quinn sells pre-made VMod kits with the grabber, the correct pot, and a spade connector for $10.00, delivered. you can reach Larry by email here: mailto:[email protected] or by PM here.

Enjoy!

:D

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
I use one similiar to that clip, it is a Precision Micro-Clip part#278-017 from radio shack cost 4.99. 4clips with wire attached between them so you can make 4 connectors out of them. It has a L-shaped end rather than pincher but they do they same job.

Ya, I have some of those, but I've found that if you move them accidently, they can come off, or short out the leg next to it.

These little things are really tenacious. The harder you pull on em, the tighter they grip.

Trust me, I found out the hard way! :eek:

Doctor

Last edited:
Well, tacobell, I'm sorry to say that due to the complexity of my VapoChill case, it would be very difficult for me to do that right now.

This thing is refrigerated, with some serious hardware preventing me from getting my camera near the parts that need to be photographed. I wrote a "How To" here, that's pretty self explanatory.

If there is anything you don't understand from the article, or any questions you have about doing it, please post them here.

I'm always willing to listen, and help :)

Doctor

Last edited:
Doctor,

Does it matter that what the red and black wire connect to the pins?
Is there a Standard?

First of all, thanks for the great pics. I wanted to see what the clips looked like first hand. I can't wait till I get mine. It's going to be so much easier.:)

FWIW, I prefer a soldered connection, especially if the computer needs to be transported.

Here are my instructions for boards that use the Intersil HIP6301.

K7G specifics:

You may want to use a 100k pot between Pin 7 and ground. This will allow you to return the board to stock voltage. A 47k pot will cause the board to boot at around 2.0 volts.

The mod is the same as the KT7 series except for the change in trimmer value for Pin 7. With 47k between ground and Pin 7, the board will boot at about 2 volts. Using a 100k trimmer allows the board to boot at normal voltage and obviously makes it possible to reverse the mod by dialing the Pin 7 and Pin 10 trimmers back to full resistance.

KT7 series, KK266, etc:

Solder wires to Pin 7 and Pin 10 of the IC that controls the voltage to the CPU. Put a 47k trimmer (49 cents at Radio Shack part # 271-283) between Pin 10 and ground. Put a 100k trimmer (271-284) between Pin 7 and ground. You can add a 1k trimmer (271-280) in series with the 100k trimmer if you would like to make it easier to fine tune the voltage. Use a spade lug or loop under a motherboard mounting screw for your ground connection. For convenience I suggest you mount the trimmers on a piece of breadboard and secure it to your motherboard tray with Velcro.

Pin 7 controls the voltage, Pin 10 controls maximum voltage threshold. Turn the trimmers to full resistance boot your PC and start VIA Hardware Monitor. Set the polling interval to 2 seconds and slowly dial up the Pin 7 trimmer until the screen blanks. Your PC will probably reboot when the screen blanks. Note the voltage and back it off a tad while the computer reboots. Then dial up the Pin 10 trimmer until your screen blanks and back it off a tad. Go back into VIA Hardware Monitor and dial the Pin 7 trimmer up to 2.3 volts. You may be able to go higher but I don’t recommend it.

Caution this will stress your cooling. Be careful or your CPU could end up a crispy critter. I also suggest buying a third hand device from Radio Shack to hold a pre-tinned wire to the IC leg while you solder. The magnifying glass on the third had will come in handy too. Get in and out fast so you don’t toast the IC. Lay off the caffeine and if you are of age, have a beer a half hour before soldering to steady your hands.

Be sure to tie your wires down to the board. A dollop of five minute epoxy works well for this. After doing several boards, I finally screwed one up. The mod went fine but I snagged the wire to Pin 10 on the end of my workbench and ripped the IC pin right off the board.

Note the pic of the solder points is of a KT7 series board.

Solder Points Pic

Thanks Colin. I was going to pm you to find this volt mod again. Can you run both of your grounds from pin 7 and 10 to the same place?

Yep, I tie the two pots to one ground with a spade lug or loop mounted under a motherboard mounting screw.

I was wondering how the vmod would look like with this clips.. i didn´t understand how they work very well..

I´ll try to find this clips here in brazil...

tacobell said:
How about the wires? and i´ll need two of this grabbers for de vmod right?

You will only need one. It will clip onto the leg of the IC chip, and you will attach a wire to it, that will go to the variable resistor/potentiometer.

I hope this helps you out,

Doctor

Last edited:
Soldering????

Colin said:
FWIW, I prefer a soldered connection, especially if the computer needs to be transported.

Hi Colin,

I understand where your coming from, with the soldered connections. They are certainly more permanent, however, it is PERMANENT.

By using these "Grabbers", it allows you to try your mod, and if your not happy with it, or would like to sell your un-modded mobo somtime in the future, you can just remove em, and go back to stock.

As well, there is absolutly no chance of screwing up your mobo. I have read too many horror storys about people destroying their mobo by too much heat, or accidently snagging the wire on the workbench, and pulling the leg off.

These clips I'm talking about are very tenacious, and short of dropping your puter out of a moving car, they won't fall off, or short out.

If you care to PM me for my address, I will be happy to send you a couple for your consideration.

Lemme no...........

:)

Doctor

Last edited:
So, in a7v133 i would use the clip to pinch the Voltage Regulator leg, solder a wire to the clip and attach the wire to a resistor?

Or i would have to attach another wire to the resistor and solder that wire to the second mark?

I´m trying to follow this vmod guide here.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the answers. :)

It's my understanding from the link above, that you need to put a 1/4W, 30k resistor between the FB/pin 2, and the SMD resistor on the mobo. If you wanted to do it with clips, you would need 2, with the 30K resistor between them.

Dcotor

Last edited:
Re: Soldering????

Doctor said:

Hi Colin,

I understand where your coming from, with the soldered connections. They are certainly more permanent, however, it is PERMANENT.

By using these "Grabbers", it allows you to try your mod, and if your not happy with it, or would like to sell your un-modded mobo somtime in the future, you can just remove em, and go back to stock.

As well, there is absolutly no chance of screwing up your mobo. I have read too many horror storys about people destroying their mobo by too much heat, or accidently snagging the wire on the workbench, and pulling the leg off.

These clips I'm talking about are very tenacious, and short of dropping your puter out of a moving car, they won't fall off, or short out.

If you care to PM me for my address, I will be happy to send you a couple for your consideration.

Lemme no...........

:)

Doctor

Thanks Doc but I think I will just buy some. I have to do a volt mod for one of the guys at a local computer store. I think I will try the clips on this one. I believe this fellow may prefer them to soldered connections.

As for selling my old boards, nah, got a nice pile of them right now! :D

Back