• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK Wolf, my silverstone Zeus Came in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Ok Wolf,
I just received my Silverstone Zeus PSU. I turned the ignition and pulled out the multimeter. I must say I am a bit dissapointed.

Idle Voltages

3.3 = 3.28
5.0 = 4.83
12.0 = 11.78

Did I get one of the early models? Because my Aspire had better idle voltages than this. :shrug:

Dom

Well,
I just got off the phone with tech support. I think it forwared me to some person in India that can barely speak English. I think I have one of the early units and they may allow me to tweak the pot without voiding my warranty. I have to see what the response is.

Dom

To top it all off, the damn PSU is making loud squeeling noises when the video card is under full load. I just dont know what to do with this PSU situation anymore. I am getting fed up. :bang head

What was your idle and load voltage with the Aspire PSU like before you got the Zeus?

A 0.09 drop from idle to load on the +12V rail is not bad. If you can tweak the pot so that you have 12.09 at idle then you are all set. I guess this is where the Powerstream's external rail adjustment really makes a nice difference (easy to tweak!).

tonyou said:
What was your idle and load voltage with the Aspire PSU like before you got the Zeus?

A 0.09 drop from idle to load on the +12V rail is not bad. If you can tweak the pot so that you have 12.09 at idle then you are all set. I guess this is where the Powerstream's external rail adjustment really makes a nice difference (easy to tweak!).

The Aspire Chameleon 550 was a great power supply, until I added my X1900 XT that is. After the new ATI power hog my idle voltages were: 11.98, 5.03, 3.30 even. When I put the system under full load voltages dropped severly because of the new card.

Load on the Aspire = 11.30, 4.82, 3.26

So, this PSU is an improvement from the Aspire but its not hovering around the solid 12.0 5.0 3.3 that I wouldve liked to seen @ idle at least. I think I should be able to solve this by simply tweaking the pot a bit.

Dom

I'm sorry DOM I would get with newegg again and explain your situation
Just for comparison I have a side rig with an overclocked 3700 and a x1900xt in it and at full load with a 400watt fortron with dual 12v rails of 14amp and 15amp I get 11.95 average and 12.10 idle

SEND IT BACK !

Got an e-mail from Tech Support. I am going to tweak the pot on this puppy without voiding my warranty rather than go through a lengthy RMA process. It has one screwdriver adjustable knob inside of the casing with 12v and 5v adjustments. They recommend to adjust in slow incrememnts until I reach the desired 12v and 5v setting.

I will be back later with results. Wish me and my components luck. :santa:

Which PSU are you talking about?

The 560W model as shown in my sig with single 12V rail?

I didn't know that you can adjust rail pots on this PSU, didn't even know that it had one.

dominick32 said:
Got an e-mail from Tech Support. I am going to tweak the pot on this puppy without voiding my warranty rather than go through a lengthy RMA process. It has one screwdriver adjustable knob inside of the casing with 12v and 5v adjustments. They recommend to adjust in slow incrememnts until I reach the desired 12v and 5v setting.

I will be back later with results. Wish me and my components luck. :santa:

GOOD LUCK

but more importantly, BE CAREFUL in there man, you can get a good jolt out of those badboys, nothing to take lightly, take precautions.

As long as you have adjustable pots I'd be looking at that before returning it. My Fortron was like that until I adjusted the pots and all was well. Regarding the quality of the PSU..... even if you rails are slightly off, you'll know if you have a good unit if the rails don't move much under load.

**UPDATE**
:) <---------Yes, thats a smile on my face.
It turns out that OK Wolf was right about some of the original units being underadjusted from the factory. There is one adjustment under the hood on this bad boy. Silverstone states that this single adjustment increases the 12volt and 5volt simultaneously. Here it is:

16.jpg

I slowly adjusted it, rebooted the PC, adjusted it, rebooted the PC again until I found a decent voltage. Initially it let me adjust the 12 volt rail all the way up to 12.40 @ idle. That was way too high for me.

The way my voltages sit right now are just about perfect:

Load readings were taken with one instance of Prime95 torture test, one instance of CPU Burn-in and one DRIBBLLERR..lol for the video card.

12 = 12.06 idle, 12.01 load
5 = 5.03 idle, 5.03 load
3.3 = 3.28 idle, 3.28 load

For some reason, they only built this PSU with one adjustable pot that only allows adjustments on 12v and 5v. But I am not worried about my 3.3 anyway because it doesnt even flinch during load.

Well, my day is a little better now.
Hope this helps others considering the Zeus 560 Watt 38Amper in the future to figure out low voltage problems. The rep from silverstone said that all of the newer revisions do not have this problem.
Dom

Last edited:
RedDragonXXX said:
Which PSU are you talking about?

The 560W model as shown in my sig with single 12V rail?

I didn't know that you can adjust rail pots on this PSU, didn't even know that it had one.

Yes,
I have the same exact PSU as you. I guess you got your hands on one of the newer revisions. Maybe Newegg had the original units sitting around in the warehouse for quite sometime. I ended up getting stuck with one. Check out my previous post for pot adjustment details.

Dom

Hmm, I will hopefully be getting my 56ZF today, wonder if I will be seeing the same droop under load. What was the manufacture date on your unit? Might be wise to check mine when I get it to see if it is going to require adjustment.

Well, as a matter of fact I have an August 2005 production. I can assume that the original Zeus units were produced much earlier than that. Thats funny, maybe this issue is unit specific?

Dom

Hmmm...maybe I'll take a gander at my volt pots today. Thanks for the info Dom and GRATS on being able to turn that frown upside down. Nothing worse than a return party with your component as the star. :(

RedDragonXXX said:
Well I was getting low rail readings myself (same exact as yours) so I decided to turn the pot to the max and here is what I got:

Are those multimeter readings or software readings?
Anyhow, I am glad that the pot adjustment worked for you as well. I sure am extremely happy about this. I figure if theyre not multimeter numbers you could very well be risking component damage right now. I am assuming you have some sort of diode linked software program giving you your readings correct?

Dom

Last edited:
Jod said:
Hmmm...maybe I'll take a gander at my volt pots today. Thanks for the info Dom and GRATS on being able to turn that frown upside down. Nothing worse than a return party with your component as the star. :(

JOD,
Thanks for your support throughout this pain in the AZZ process that I have been going through. :santa:

Dom

Back