• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does my new CPU to have a bad memory controller?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rassler

Last night I replaced my old 3000+ newcastle with a 3000+ venice, both s754. I though the new CPU was casuing OS problems, so I reinstalled windows. But I think the problem lies else where.

My system is in my sig, except for my new 3000+ Venice E6 of course.
My ram used to be able to do 270Mhz 3-3-3-7 with the old CPU no problem, and probably higher, but I didnt even try.

I know I have PLENTY of head room to up My FSB speed, core MHZ and RAM mhz, yet it fails prime in under 1 minute every time I try to go past 240MHz FSB. I have 10x multiplier and ram running 1:1.

you guys probabley need a lot more info, I am so frustrated right now though, I dont even feel like writting it.

Current:

FSB: 240
HTT: 3x
Multi: 10x
vcore: 1.4
vdimm: 2.6
RAM: 1:1 200MHz 3-4-4-8

Considering the CPU is the only component you've changed, your suspicion seems plausible. That said, I wouldn't give up quite yet (unless you've already experimented a lot with different settings). Perhaps upping the vCore or changing the drive strength will help.

I have the same mobo myself, and although rock-solid at HTT up to 340, it took me a couple of days of tweaking and cursing before I got my BH-5 stable. Since you have a CPU revision that's new to the socket 754 platform, I suspect this could also be a BIOS-related problem.

I think my mobo is bad now. Is it possible for a MOBO to be operational at stock, but become totally screwed up if anything is OCed at all?

The other day my roommate said he went to use my computer to print something out, and when he put in his thumb drive to the usb port, there was a spark and the system rebooted.

I think I just found the cause of the instability.....

Thats how my last mobo got fried! I dont know why this one still works at default settings though. I guess it can take it, but not the extra strain of OCing now?!

What do you guys think?

try a bios update, because you have got a new cpu your mobo mite need to be updated

rassler said:
I think my mobo is bad now. Is it possible for a MOBO to be operational at stock, but become totally screwed up if anything is OCed at all?

recently I came to a similar conclusion....my ram just wouldnt run fast with a processor that had a better memory controller! So, my new dfi is on the way (upgrade from abit av8).

I do agree something is amiss, it could be the mobo or it could be something else.

Oh my... I cant believe this. Im having the EXACT same problem. I cannot for hte life of me get past 240fsb with this Venice. My RAM passes memtest at 250fsb all day long.

pin problem?

Umm, do they make 734 pin Venice editions? I thought that it was only 939 pins. If you are sticking a 939 pin cpu into a 734 socket, that would seem to explain most if not all of your problems.

I am in SATA port 4.

HAHA.... ummm yea, it is a socket 754 chip

I unplugged my SATA harddirve and got all the way to 2650mhz, I had to use a 200/166 divider but I got there. Im still not done playing with it and hopefully I can get to around 2.7ghz or more.

2650mhz0un.jpg

Back