• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eve Online [OCForums Corporation in here]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sleepy_Steve said:
yeah, i had an issue with a guy 4rch4ngel who kept on harrasing miners in the forge... if i had money a bounty would be placed on him.

Not put a bounty on his head but actually hire someone to kill him. A bounty just inflates there ego.

Sleepy_Steve said:
yeah, i had an issue with a guy 4rch4ngel who kept on harrasing miners in the forge... if i had money a bounty would be placed on him.

What ship does he have? i'd kill him for ya if i could.

Man, you guys keep talking about EVE and it makes me wanna do the trial again. Out of all the MMORPG's I've tried, EVE is the best in my opinion. The thrill of PVP, the player based economy, and the massive galaxy system.... *drool*

I played the trial, but it just couldnt keep me captivated for too long. Far too complex, theres nothing that really gave me an idea of what I could do.

I was lost for 2 weeks, then warped to the other side of the galaxy in 2 hours to get into a corp.

Then my account ended and I never looked back.

I'll re activate if someone wants to get on vent with me and explain how to play the damned game. I mean I did the trial and all, but its so vast I felt like there was no reason for me to even bother trying.

Wraith said:
I played the trial, but it just couldnt keep me captivated for too long. Far too complex, theres nothing that really gave me an idea of what I could do.

I was lost for 2 weeks, then warped to the other side of the galaxy in 2 hours to get into a corp.

I'll re activate if someone wants to get on vent with me and explain how to play the damned game. I mean I did the trial and all, but its so vast I felt like there was no reason for me to even bother trying.
if my computer was working at the moment, i would definetely get on and help you out with the game. its definetely worth it but as you already know its quite hard to get into.

Wraith said:

Sounds like wow-itis. EVE, unlike WoW, doesn't hold your hand and tell you what to do to progress through the game. That can be either good or bad -- it depends on what you need from a game.

If you like to have a linear path of progression, with exclamation points showing you the way, then EVE is not for you. If, however, you liked to play in sandboxes as a kid and find your own way through the game, then come on back.

I had the same problem as Wraith i wanted to have fun, but it was almost TOO big, and like he said complicated, to even give me hope of having fun.

FlakMonkey said:
I had the same problem as Wraith i wanted to have fun, but it was almost TOO big, and like he said complicated, to even give me hope of having fun.

When it takes 45 min to just get somehwere it can be disheartening. I just went and read a book while that happened.

shard said:
When it takes 45 min to just get somehwere it can be disheartening. I just went and read a book while that happened.

did that untill my second podkill then i got smart and stayed awake while warping.

Im trying to complete the training and to complete it I have to kill one of those pirate things. Well the problem is there is like only one of those every 5 mins and this one guy always beats me to them. God damnit all I want is that stupid key so I can complete the training.

all this talk about eve made me grab the trial to see what's new. just basically running missions atm. not sure how long i will be playing this (14 day trial) but feel free to add me to your buddy list... my toon is injektilo.

damn they still take the servers down every day @ 3am :( . the good thing about this game though is you don't have to pay for new content like all the rest.

<laughs> Any time you feel like you're getting bored, go to lowsec. More profit. Significantly more risk.

So can anyone answer my question? Is this more of a skill based game, or is the guy who plays for 10 hours a day in the battlecruiser going to destroy me everytime?

Wraith said:
So can anyone answer my question? Is this more of a skill based game, or is the guy who plays for 10 hours a day in the battlecruiser going to destroy me everytime?

A little of both to some extent. Skill based on the esence that you know how to fit you ship and fit it properly to attach such a craft. A frigate, a little low end tech 1 could disable any ship in the game. Bigger craft can deal more damage over a period of time but also take more too. Now true skills ingame that need training ya a person could have 40million SP, and yet still get killed by a 100k SP guy.

I guess you could say its a bit of both. The person flying in the game longer might know how to equip his ship properly over his time and experiance but a new person might have a hard time figuring it out unless its the hard way or getting info from the fourms or experianced players.

deathman20 said:
A little of both to some extent. Skill based on the esence that you know how to fit you ship and fit it properly to attach such a craft. A frigate, a little low end tech 1 could disable any ship in the game. Bigger craft can deal more damage over a period of time but also take more too. Now true skills ingame that need training ya a person could have 40million SP, and yet still get killed by a 100k SP guy.

I guess you could say its a bit of both. The person flying in the game longer might know how to equip his ship properly over his time and experiance but a new person might have a hard time figuring it out unless its the hard way or getting info from the fourms or experianced players.

I noticed the combat system was click attack and orbit then enemy shooting, was I missing something?c an you target subsystems? Is there a way to use speed to your advantage?

I was always a fan of using the fastest craft available, it always seems the best to me. Way back when in The Red barron the Spad 13 was the stuff, and The Tie Advanced was just the bomb, so yeah, I like the speed

Wraith said:
I noticed the combat system was click attack and orbit then enemy shooting, was I missing something?c an you target subsystems? Is there a way to use speed to your advantage?

I was always a fan of using the fastest craft available, it always seems the best to me. Way back when in The Red barron the Spad 13 was the stuff, and The Tie Advanced was just the bomb, so yeah, I like the speed

Actually knowing where you can orbit and still hit the target of say a bigger craft yet be under his optimal range can have a huge advantage to a smaller faster moving craft. I mean over time ya you'll learn things like ammo types for certain craft and such. BTW sometimes orbiting isn't the best thing to do. Depends on your setup and what you can tell of theres from coming into combat with them. Usually they fire guns or missles and you can tell what missles and what guns hes using to properly atain the situation if orbiting or zig zagging is appropriate.

Targeting subsystems isn't in from last I know, and didn't think there was going to be one. Only thing thats subsystem like is jamming and making them so they can't target you.

As for speed, speeds always an advantage and disadvantage. The faster you go the more tracking mods you'll need to offset the speed difference between you and your guns tracking. Usually the faster the better, the closer to the enemey usually the better unless they have smart bombs or close range weapons. Now being far away from a target yet moving very fast twords or away from him, does you little good, moving from a side to side angle helps considerably from them getting a good hit on you. But also remember the further away you are the less there guns or your guns have to track to get inline for a good shot.

Theres many different things that can be tought with learning how to fight. Weather to armor or shield tank, if speed is essensial in big battles or hit and runs. What type of weapons to use in certain instances. When a MWD should be equiped and with what equipment type.

Took a long time for me to get a feel of what situations are good with what setups. And even then the Jamming modules I wasn't using yet and theres many many many uses for those.

the adam said:
what ship should I buy to replace the ship I started out with?

What race do you like?

Gallente for your hybrids/drones (blasters are thier speciality)
Minmatar for your projectiles/missles (benifits from high speed and extremely high damage on artilary)
Caldari for your missles/ew (highly strong in theses fields also benifits from high shields also)
Ammar for your lasers (no ammo basically, they did add ammo decay rates but you reeally don't have to buy much ammo for these weapons very nice in the battlefield)

Truely it all depends on which way you want to go. Of course therse many other things between these races which has benifits. But trying to get good in one race is a good start then start to branch out afterwards. Ships within that race also depend on what you want to do, and how much isk you have to spend.

Well, I am downloading it now. I gave it a miss when it was new because I was the guy running SWG for OCF and it just seemed to me to be a bit much to have two MMOs going at once. But since I left the other game, I guess that I will see you guys around.

Is there a certain server that you guys are playing on or is it all one system?

Back