• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canadians and watercooling... can people list me some websites?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
ok the only place I know of online to buy stuff here in canada is bigfootcomputers.com

can anyone link me to anything else. I tried googling it but wasnt very successful.

Thanks

I need stuff within canada because if I get stuff shipped from a store in the US the charges are

(Cost of Item * exchange rate) + shipping + $5 (minimum) charge for bringing anything over the boarder + 15% Canadian tarrif

so that kinda stings too much

well thats true i mean in all seriousness I could (and usually do) just open my windows wide (as i have right now with 820d oc'd now running at 47 degrees)
however I would like to get some stuff so I dont have to wear my parka while at my computer :D

bigfoot is realy your best option since they are located in toronto. they are a little expensive, but they have a pretty decent selection fort he most part. There used to be criticool, but i hear they died out or somthing, never went to look myself.

I dont know anythinga bout this 15% tax your talking about, but i havent tried to buy anything new from the states. ive only ever been taxed the usual 15% when ordering from a BC store like NCIX. I wonder if pst applies if you are ordering outside the province.

You might try to build a setup from the ocforums clasifieds. I did that and got away wtih a kick *** water system for $150.

not enough post count to see the classifieds but thats ok. I have been watching RFD, anandtech, 2cpu and hardforums
all of which I have been a member for some time. just nothing pops up

as for the 15% anything over $20 that comes into canada gets charged both pst and gst. Since I live in ontario that means 15% for me.
I have had my fair share of items out of 12 ebays and 22 heats most came from the US, and most I had to pay duty on :(

See. thats why you buy the items used on these forums and have the person sending it to you to declare it as a gift. or, if you have a reliable friend in the states, get them to repackage your stuff as a gift for you. might save you some cash.

Otherwise, there arent alot of vendors in canada to dabble in this kind of thing. Ncix DOES have some.. so does vibecomputers but their sellection is limited. Ncix has the swifttech parts though, even still you will be paying sales tax.
You can also check out ebay.. i havent had great experiences there though.

checked out NCIX and vivecomputers (you were right nothing exciting)
well the search continues

Valk said:
See. thats why you buy the items used on these forums and have the person sending it to you to declare it as a gift. or, if you have a reliable friend in the states, get them to repackage your stuff as a gift for you. might save you some cash.

Otherwise, there arent alot of vendors in canada to dabble in this kind of thing. Ncix DOES have some.. so does vibecomputers but their sellection is limited. Ncix has the swifttech parts though, even still you will be paying sales tax.
You can also check out ebay.. i havent had great experiences there though.

Marking as a gift doesn't mean anything.

I once got a license plate bracket sent to me for FREE from a friend, its literally a 1/2" wide piece of steel about 5 inches long with 3 holes in it (and old dirty steel too). They opened up the box regardless and said it was worth 200$ USD, wanted 40$ in fees, and I just said keep the fking box and the stupid bracket.

I have only had bad experiences w/ x-border actions over the mail. I just mail in to Buffalo's PO box in Niagara and drive across, pick it up and come back without declaring it, saves me money.

a lot of peole wont ship to PO boxes that and the fact I dont have one even though I live right over the river from detroit

Valk said:
bigfoot is realy your best option since they are located in toronto. they are a little expensive, but they have a pretty decent selection fort he most part. There used to be criticool, but i hear they died out or somthing, never went to look myself.

I dont know anythinga bout this 15% tax your talking about, but i havent tried to buy anything new from the states. ive only ever been taxed the usual 15% when ordering from a BC store like NCIX. I wonder if pst applies if you are ordering outside the province.

You might try to build a setup from the ocforums clasifieds. I did that and got away wtih a kick *** water system for $150.

For Canadians, Bigfoot is our best option. They have very good service and products. I ordered my heatercore from Dangerden.

Good luck

Yeah actually, you get off the PST when you order out of province, if you're ordering more than a couple of hundred bucks worth of kit, it usually works out that it pays for shipping too, so it can work out cheaper than buying it from a cheap store locally. So if I've gotta get something shipped, since most of the parcel pricing is standard for anything but express, I usually get it from somewhere in BC or Alberta or somewhere, and save myself the 7% or whatever it is.

I've made a few purchases from the States and not all of my packages have had duty charges applied, so you can get a decent deal. You need to weigh how badly you want that particular product against the exchange rate (not that bad atm), the extra shipping, and the possibility of duty charges (I thought it was $50+). If you decide to get something from a US store I suggest that you go with USPS as the shipping option. Most courier companies charge a border brokerage fee which can be completely out of whack with what customs might charge.

As for Canadian stores I've ordered a few cooling parts from Bigfoot and have had good results (they also have the biggest selection), I've also ordered hardware from NCIX without problems. There is also http://www.vibecomputers.com/ , but I have never purchased from them.

ncix is really great. I've shopped from them many times. THe cool thing about them is that you only have to pay GST which is like 7% tax instead of the full 15% if you do not live within BC. The prices are really low also even compared to some of the asian stores like canadacomputers. Unfortunately big foot is one of out only options for some of the stuff like swiftech waterblocks though, they are kinda pricey so try ncix before you go with bigfoot. You might wanna check out tigerdirect.ca the prices are abit higher than ncix, and the shipping is a full 15% but they sometimes have stuff u might need.

Back