• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800GS pencil mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright, they're based on the same principle so theoreticly i should be able to do it just fine... quick question >>> Are bios mods as effective as these types of volt mods?

twoeyes said:
Alright, they're based on the same principle so theoreticly i should be able to do it just fine... quick question >>> Are bios mods as effective as these types of volt mods?

connecting a point to ground isn't the same as pencil modding (lowering resistance along a component)

crimedog said:
connecting a point to ground isn't the same as pencil modding (lowering resistance along a component)

ah ok, i havent really read a ton about it, thanks for the tip....

Ok i still really am curious to know if BIOS modding the card actually WORKS and if so why do people do hardware mods?

twoeyes said:
Ok i still really am curious to know if BIOS modding the card actually WORKS and if so why do people do hardware mods?

bios modding (if it works for that card, most don't) is largely useless. for the 6800u's for example there was a small bump in oc when flashed to 1.5v bios, but if you want any kind of good oc you need to do the real mod. if you're just looking for something easy and "free performance" then volt modding is not right for you.

ah ok thanks, that helps a lot :) I might go pick up the right resistors from radio shack sometime tomorrow if i feel like doing it :p

twoeyes,

if you can post pics of your mods(if you do them), my buddy has a 6800le that unlocks 16/6, highest the mem will run is 940, but 920 is stable for all games. he wants a little more juice out of it.

thanks twoeyes, his card is on a modded asus bios. i read that the le/nu are the same reference design. read and modding points are the same. unfortunately there's only pics showing the points but not the actual resistors soldered on.

Back