• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ST56ZF voltage droop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

Damn, spoke too soon.
After running my new st56zf for a few days, the 12v and 5v went from a near perfect 12.00v/5.01v at full load to 11.5v/4.83v at idle and load. So I am going to pick up a new multimeter tonight that isn't bleeding liquid crystals and see if the motherboard is reporting voltages somewhat accurately. Worst case scenario, if it is 500mV below the optimum, should I be concerned enough to void my warranty and adjust the pot inside? Or should I just RMA it back to silverstone...

futura2001 said:
Damn, spoke too soon.
After running my new st56zf for a few days, the 12v and 5v went from a near perfect 12.00v/5.01v at full load to 11.5v/4.83v at idle and load. So I am going to pick up a new multimeter tonight that isn't bleeding liquid crystals and see if the motherboard is reporting voltages somewhat accurately. Worst case scenario, if it is 500mV below the optimum, should I be concerned enough to void my warranty and adjust the pot inside? Or should I just RMA it back to silverstone...

Double check with the meter first... if you're still getting 12.5v, I'd let Silverstone know. Sounds like you may have gotten one of the early ones.

Yeah, the only dated information on the unit was on the box, which said "August 2005". I know the box was printed in August 2005, but the PSU has no mention of a date of manufacture on it so who knows when the PSU was assembled.
Gonna contact Silverstone about it today, hopefully I will be able to arrange something with them. At least the rails are rock solid. Haven't seen them budge, but unfortunately everything coming from the mosfets has a bit of a ripple. Well, that's what I get for using a motherboard I got for "free" with my 7800gt...

futura2001 said:
Yeah, the only dated information on the unit was on the box, which said "August 2005". I know the box was printed in August 2005, but the PSU has no mention of a date of manufacture on it so who knows when the PSU was assembled.
Gonna contact Silverstone about it today, hopefully I will be able to arrange something with them. At least the rails are rock solid. Haven't seen them budge, but unfortunately everything coming from the mosfets has a bit of a ripple. Well, that's what I get for using a motherboard I got for "free" with my 7800gt...

99% Positive that the motherboard is giving off false readings. You guys all saw the rail measurements from my Multimeter and pictures on the Zeus. Here is my example:

Current Zeus Levels (Measurements Taken with DMM): Idle
12v = 12.18
5v = 5.09
3.3 = 3.28

Zeus Levels (Measurements taken with Asus Probe software and sisoft sandra)Idle
12v = 11.48
5v = 4.82
3.3v = 3.26

As you can see, these are drastic differences between my motherboard readings and the DMM readings. Although my initial DMM readings were low as well and I did need to tweak the pot to get to my current levels. With the August 2005 production print, it definitely looks as though you received the same packaging and print date as me. I would definitely call up Silverstone and tell them rather then sending in the PSU under warranty, let you tweak the pot on the inside. <---- This is of course after you made sure that your motherboard wasnt playing games with your mind.

Good luck. This PSU is badass! You'll see!

Last edited:
IT sounds like he is using a DMM, especially becase he metions that he is going to try a new one because his current one is "bleeding liquid crystals". His current one just might not work...

ckj said:
IT sounds like he is using a DMM, especially becase he metions that he is going to try a new one because his current one is "bleeding liquid crystals". His current one just might not work...

OK. :shrug: Let me re-state my question:
Did you get the new DMM readings yet?

ckj - Read this thread to get up to speed on this issue:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=442115

Dom

Nah, wasn't able to drop by my local electronics retailer last night because my dad called me around 4pm and wanted to meet at the pistol range and plink off a few clips. We went to walgreens beforehand and bought some of those cheesy 9" red valentines day hearts to use as targets. It was fun, and he bought me dinner on account of getting promoted yesterday.
Tonight though, I promise I will go to the shop and pick one up...

Alright. Got a new DMM and measured the voltages from both a spare molex and straight from the ATX and 4pin connectors just to be sure. Apparently the motherboard reports voltages a bit higher than I thought. Turns out, that the motherboard reading 11.5v on the 12v rail is actually 11.41v, and the 4.83v reading on the 5v is actually 4.79v.
Well... looks like I'm gonna have to contact Silverstone.

futura2001 said:
Alright. Got a new DMM and measured the voltages from both a spare molex and straight from the ATX and 4pin connectors just to be sure. Apparently the motherboard reports voltages a bit higher than I thought. Turns out, that the motherboard reading 11.5v on the 12v rail is actually 11.41v, and the 4.83v reading on the 5v is actually 4.79v.
Well... looks like I'm gonna have to contact Silverstone.

I would definitely ask to simply manually tweak the pot first before you return that for an RMA. I had the same problem as you and I am extremely happy with my current results after tweaking the pot. Tell them your situation, and explain to them that you have a certain technological knowledge and experience with the internals of PSU's like I did..lol

I am sure they will let you tweak it without voiding the warranty if you explain your situation.

Dom

dominick32 said:
I would definitely ask to simply manually tweak the pot first before you return that for an RMA. I had the same problem as you and I am extremely happy with my current results after tweaking the pot. Tell them your situation, and explain to them that you have a certain technological knowledge and experience with the internals of PSU's like I did..lol

I am sure they will let you tweak it without voiding the warranty if you explain your situation.

Dom

Yeah, figured I would try that first and indicate that I am reasonably competent enough to work on electronics.
"Yeah, the voltages on your power supply are a bit low, so I thought I'd call you guys and see if I can fix it myself. Gonna try and exorcize the low voltage demons by pouring chicken's blood on the rails, and if that doesn't work I'll hit it a few times with a hammer... this won't void the warranty will it?"
Heh, I don't suppose they are nice enough to leave one of those handy little nylon screwdrivers taped inside the PSU so if you are adjusting a pot and your hand slips, you don't risk gouging any traces you shouldn't? I like Viewsonic because they actually have the forethought to put one of those screwdrivers on the inside of each monitor.

futura2001 said:
Yeah, figured I would try that first and indicate that I am reasonably competent enough to work on electronics.
"Yeah, the voltages on your power supply are a bit low, so I thought I'd call you guys and see if I can fix it myself. Gonna try and exorcize the low voltage demons by pouring chicken's blood on the rails, and if that doesn't work I'll hit it a few times with a hammer... this won't void the warranty will it?"
Heh, I don't suppose they are nice enough to leave one of those handy little nylon screwdrivers taped inside the PSU so if you are adjusting a pot and your hand slips, you don't risk gouging any traces you shouldn't? I like Viewsonic because they actually have the forethought to put one of those screwdrivers on the inside of each monitor.

LMAO!!
Tape little screwdrivers inside the case with the "warranty void if used" sticker on it. LOL :santa:

dominick32 said:
LMAO!!
Tape little screwdrivers inside the case with the "warranty void if used" sticker on it. LOL :santa:
Now you're on to something. Heh hah ha ha! But it would have to have a "Warning, do not eat screwdriver, do not stick screwdriver in eye" sticker as well...

Back