• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enough power??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFG34

antec SP II 450 WATT for these parts:
amd opteron 165 or X2 3800
X800GTO2
corsair xms 1 gb
DFI ultra D
WE 250gb HD
LG dvd burner

is it enough?

It should be enough, but you could get more 12v power, better build quality, and more stable Fortron AX450-PN. It also happens to be cheaper.

LordDarik said:
It should be enough, but you could get more 12v power, better build quality, and more stable Fortron AX450-PN. It also happens to be cheaper.
I haven't tried the AX450-PN but I do have a P4 630 machine running at 4GHz off a SP2-450. Honestly, I don't expect the AX450 is even as good, much less better. Assuming you don't overwhelm modern Antecs' (quiet) cooling they prove very good supplies. I have a hard time imagining a machine that an AX500-A could drive that the SP2-450 could not. Unless the AX450 will drive heavier loads than does the AX500-A, I can't see where it could provide an advantage over the SP2-450.

larva said:
I haven't tried the AX450-PN but I do have a P4 630 machine running at 4GHz off a SP2-450. Honestly, I don't expect the AX450 is even as good, much less better. Assuming you don't overwhelm modern Antecs' (quiet) cooling they prove very good supplies. I have a hard time imagining a machine that an AX500-A could drive that the SP2-450 could not. Unless the AX450 will drive heavier loads than does the AX500-A, I can't see where it could provide an advantage over the SP2-450.
I guess I'm in a similar situation as you, I have had no experience with the SP2-450 (But I have used the 400w model, wasn't very impresed either) and have a friend running a AMD 64 3000+ @ 2.7ghz and a 9800XT on an AX450, in fact he recommended me one for my current computer. But I beleive the poster just wants something to run his system any way, correct me if I'm wrong. In that case the AX450-PN would be a cheaper alternative that will run his computer nicely.

LordDarik said:
In that case the AX450-PN would be a cheaper alternative that will run his computer nicely.

Not that I expect you to know this but the OP was asking in another section of this forum about the Sonata II, which comes with this PSU. I gathered from that thread, that SP 2.0 450w PSU is the one that comes with the Sonata II and that's why the questions regarding it.

LordDarik said:
I guess I'm in a similar situation as you, I have had no experience with the SP2-450 (But I have used the 400w model, wasn't very impresed either) and have a friend running a AMD 64 3000+ @ 2.7ghz and a 9800XT on an AX450, in fact he recommended me one for my current computer. But I beleive the poster just wants something to run his system any way, correct me if I'm wrong. In that case the AX450-PN would be a cheaper alternative that will run his computer nicely.
I never said an AX450-PN wouldn't run it. But this was not a "what supply should I buy" thread, but rather a pointed question regarding the SP2-450's characteristics.

But if you desire to debate the relative merits of the two, bear in mind that a P4-630 at 4GHz draws roughly twice the power than does an A64 3000+ at any possible clock. AMD cpus have an enormous advantage in terms of power consumption and heat production, so it is when you try a particular supply on an Intel rig that you really learn about its 12V capacity. By that measure, the SP2-450 is rather impressive in my experience and that is the answer I will give regardless of how impressed I (or others) may be with the FSP alternatives.

I like FSP a lot, but I really feel the AX500-A (actually 460W rated) is more the natural competitor for the SP2-450, making the SP2 somewhat of a bargain. Throw in the fact that you get one for 99 bones in the very spiffy SonataII case, and you have far and away the least expensive case/PS that a self-respecting OCer is going to aspire to. The AX450 brings substantially varying sustained and "peak" 12V power figures that hint at a lesser actual capacity and load-driving ability than the SP2-450 or AX500-A. In the end if you pay attention to one number alone, let it be the price. When FSP charges 80+ bucks for the AX500-A and rates it at 460W you have to suspect there are real limitations to the unit they will sell you for $49, regardless the other numbers associated with the device.

larva said:
I never said an AX450-PN wouldn't run it. But this was not a "what supply should I buy" thread, but rather a pointed question regarding the SP2-450's characteristics.

But if you desire to debate the relative merits of the two, bear in mind that a P4-630 at 4GHz draws roughly twice the power than does an A64 3000+ at any possible clock. AMD cpus have an enormous advantage in terms of power consumption and heat production, so it is when you try a particular supply on an Intel rig that you really learn about its 12V capacity. By that measure, the SP2-450 is rather impressive in my experience and that is the answer I will give regardless of how impressed I (or others) may be with the FSP alternatives.

I like FSP a lot, but I really feel the AX500-A (actually 460W rated) is more the natural competitor for the SP2-450, making the SP2 somewhat of a bargain. Throw in the fact that you get one for 99 bones in the very spiffy SonataII case, and you have far and away the least expensive case/PS that a self-respecting OCer is going to aspire to. The AX450 brings substantially varying sustained and "peak" 12V power figures that hint at a lesser actual capacity and load-driving ability than the SP2-450 or AX500-A. In the end if you pay attention to one number alone, let it be the price. When FSP charges 80+ bucks for the AX500-A and rates it at 460W you have to suspect there are real limitations to the unit they will sell you for $49, regardless the other numbers associated with the device.
Point taken on the power draw, but I have to disagree on the comparison of the Antec 450 and the Bluestorm. I don't beleive that the AX500 was built to be a power house, I doubt it is even too much more powerful than the AX450 (If at all). I think that extra price comes in from the aesthetics, I never really did like that Fortron did that. They think they can color their PSU's blue, sleeve the cables, and call it a 500w. It's one of the few things I think Fortron did wrong, alot of people will disagree with me though.

In my eyes the AX450 is the AX500 lite.

It's much like how Enermax has different numbers in their model numbers which lead you to believe that the model number contains the actual wattage output in there as well ;)

Back