• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SGI 540 full tower case, ATX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

I dropped by my local used computer equipment store on a whim yesterday, and looked around for a while. Turns out they have an SGI 540 Dual P3-550(Expandable to Quad P3) workstation there for about $350. I don't much care about the internals, but the case is sexi! Well, in a nostalgic "OMG! SGI" sort of way.
See here:
SGI540-1.JPG

Anyways, I'm thinking of getting just the case if possible, or talking the price down on the system and selling the internals on ebay. Proprietary hardware just isn't my thing...
What I am wondering is if anyone knows whether this is an ATX case that I could just drop my motherboard and components in? Or did SGI do what they normally do and make everything to their own specifications that aren't compatible with anything else?
I would like to install my current system that resides in a ghetto-*** Enlight 7237 into a more suitable case, and I was thinking of a Lian Li V-2100B before I saw this case. However, a large part of my brain still wuvs Silicon Graphics and frankly I'm surprised I didn't just buy this yesterday. Hell, I'm having a very hard time deciding whether I would even want to mod the thing, or just leave it as a virgin SGI case.
"But I need 120mm fans in my case... No! BLASPHEMY!"
"But it would look so cool with a window in the side! Must... not... speak... such... heresy!"

Back