• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toaster Oven Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdrake90

Hey Everyone,

I am currently working on a write up for a detailed explaination of this idea... here are the basics:

Project Log:
Started 2-15-06
Ended: ?
Created by: Jdrake90
Short Description:
Take an old toaster oven, and convert it into a computer.
Parts:
Lighting:
http://www.svc.com/12dccfl-red-221.html
http://www.svc.com/12dccfl-red-22.html
Cables:
http://www.jab-tech.com/Coolermaster-18-SATA-cable-UV-Red-TUC-S18-ER-pr-2793.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/6-Serial-ATA-Power-Cable-UV-red-pr-2646.html
Misc Parts
http://www.jab-tech.com/Round-Led-Rocker-Switch-Red-pr-2452.html

Possible smaller psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817154008

Estimated Cost:
$27.42

Or $50

Parts needed (that I already have)
Motherboard backplane
Motherboard
CPU
CPU heatsink
Fans (5)
DVD Burning drive
Hard Drive
Video Card
PSU
RAM 512mb
Most importantly: Toaster

I'll get some pics in about an hour... i'm doing this in the middle of school;-)

Jdrake90

BTW: This is an oven.... not a pop up toaster.... essentially a big box.

Heh... looks and sounds cool.

I want to see somebody turn all their old kitchen appliances into PCs...
microwave, toaster oven, bread machine, blender, fridge... everything.

and it all should have neon. MOVING neon!

Pics

Wow.... ghettocomp is going to be viewing my work! this is huge;-)

Actually... this will be my first complete mod... so I need lots of advice.

Ok... here are some pics, and then i'll talk about some ideas and such...

Front with Dimensions:
This shows the dimensions of the entire oven, the inside, and the width of the side panel (which will be the on/off, reset, light, usb, headphone and mic). As you can tell, whole thing needs some Mr. Muscle (sudued acid) to get back to the bare metal

9312:
The dimensions of the glass door... I think I will etch a name on this glass piece (like... "THE TOASTER")

9313:
The side... I have another pic comming up with the depth (this toaster is currently in use... I'm hoping my parents will get a new one;-)

9314:
Very cheap metal back... this is great for a back piece (the mobo sits perpendicular on the bottom of the oven... plugs go in the back here).

9315:
Straight on without dimensions

Jdrake90

PS. More pictures in a minute

Attachments

• Edited Front with Dimensions.JPG
    Edited Front with Dimensions.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_9312.JPG
    IMG_9312.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_9313.JPG
    IMG_9313.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_9314.JPG
    IMG_9314.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_9315.JPG
    IMG_9315.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 306
More pics

9316:
How should I use these nobs? I'm thinking of rigging two of them as switches (for lights and a power switch). Maybe something that goes with the toaster theme? The light you see on the bottom could be either a power indicator or a hd light.... where do the USB and audio connections go?

9317:
I want to take these heating coils, and replace them with light tubes (which happen to be the exact same width). so I get a red glow from the top and bottom of this machine... also... the rack that holds the grill you see there... might be a good holder for my mobo (so I could get an air flow above and below!

9318:
More detail on the glass... this will be cleaner;-)

9319:
Heating coils on top too... I think that my side panel won't fit my PSU... so it might intrude into the inside of the case... which wouldn't be a big deal... however... would this work for a psu? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817154008

Side with Dimensions:
The depth of the box is 11 3/8" my mobo is 7 inches deep = lots of room

Ok, thats the pictures... my biggest objectives right now are to get the entire thing planned out... while I convince my parents to let me have their toaster (we have needed a new one for a long time).

Here are the things I really would like some help on:

How to etch glass
Painting 101 (for computer modding)
How to remove rivets, and then be able to put the item back together!
How to do this entire thing without a dremel (I am broke... 30 bucks is a heavy price for me atm)
How to install lights

Other ideas:
Having the DVD eject out of the side
Using the door to unfold the keyboard?
Colors for this thing? Solid Chrome?
Cooling won't be an issue... I can vent on the side. and make a complete suction towards the back of the box (with an exhaust vent)

Jdrake90

PS. I can't wait for ideas from you geniuses...

Attachments

• IMG_9316.JPG
    IMG_9316.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_9317.JPG
    IMG_9317.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_9318.JPG
    IMG_9318.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_9319.JPG
    IMG_9319.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 300
  • Side with Dimensions.JPG
    Side with Dimensions.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 262
Hmm.... my first reaction to those links is: "I want to make mine look a whole lot cooler."

However... its good to see the ideas and methods... thanks a bunch!

I would think having a fake slice of pizza in there with it would be the icing on the cake for this project.

Hhmmm... there's too much food in my post, it must be lunch time.

Couple of questions:

What is the best way to light up the inside of this toaster? I definately want something to replace the heating tubes with light... but I also want lit up cables...

What is EL? Is UV reactive better?

How much power do cold cathodes take...

Thanks,

Jdrake90

Yeah man, you gotta have some glowing orange tubes to simulate the heating
elements. How about placing a pair of UV CCFL tubes in there & painting
a couple bars with orange UV reactive paint? That would probably work well.

Or you could use orange CCFL, but as someone said they don't provide a good colour.

Not 100% sure but I believe a pair of 12" CCFL only use about 6w of power.

> " What is EL? Is UV reactive better? "<

EL are basically electrochemical strips that use phosphor crystals which emit
light when power is passed through them.

EL strips are not that bright. More for effect than lighting other objects.
UV reactive components will likely give a better effect for the faux elements.

Best of luck .... sounds like a cool project.

Last edited:
Hmm, reminds me of a mod I need to do. Might have been paranoob that gave me the idea.

I want to mod a toaster so it toasts the Half-Life 2 symbol into bread instead of the lamer grill lines. Should be fun.

I'm definately keeping my eye on this mod though!

Hmm... all these ideas are giving me an artistic perspective to this project... my original plan was to just put the computer inside, with a nice finish... but I will certainly go for a 'toaster' theme... how spreading fake (non conductive) breadcrumbs... or modding a keyboard with a butter dish and a coffe cup holder? Monitor with cheese on it?

KEEP THE IDEAS COMING DUDES!!!

Jdrake90

now that would be cool. ding....

on the thought about the fake cheese, what I was thinking was running strips of white hot glue across a sheet of wax paper, then after they had hardened, criss cross them in a haphazard way. to give an illusion of the toasting effect hit the pile of glue with a high flame from something like a burnzomatic torch. kinda melt it all together and give it that slightly burnt upper crust. all off of the mobo of course. you wouldn't want to get to heavy of a grid, or you would block the airflow. when you have finished with most of the build, heat the grid of "melted cheese" and lightly set it on the mobo, so that it will settle down over the edges of parts. should give a great impression of the mobo being heated up.

OK!!!! My parents just got a new toaster... so I will start ripping this puppy apart starting Friday.

I won't buy stuff for it for a while, but I will at least get the case ready.

I'm BAAACCCCK in the saddle again;-)

Jdrake90

Back