• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netdimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
C'mon guys! DIMES IT!! HardOCP only has 19 people on their team, let's get some people working for our team and we could even beat them! Were currently 143 and moving fast!

Let's MAP THE INTERNET!

info from fellow Forum-mate Macaholic on how to reduce CPU usage with this program!

Macaholic said:
OK! Further investigation proved that having the agent set to the graph tab is the culprit. Who needs pretty graphics anyway?! We all use the CLI client for folding, right?! Why should this be any different? If you set the agent to the messages tab and hide it, the max CPU usage goes down to between .80% and 1.6% on single and dual processor boxes. Thought you might like to know. Fold and dime on! :)

i don't know about running as service... but i do have it set to run on boot.

if running as a service nets even less CPU usage but still the same output, then i'm all for it.

ghettocomp said:
I have also heard that this program will run as a service if svrany is used. might use
even less cycles that way :shrug: I will have to try this tomorrow, unless someone
else beats me to it :)

according to my talks with the programmers of DIMES, (PM's and such on thier forums).... they are currently working on a solution for making a service install an option. They apparently have a bug in the software they have to fix first before they can implement it as a service (but i was given a timeline of 1 - 1 1/2 months before it is out)

guys, we are up to #112 in the world!

Also, there appear to be problems with the Linux Client, but I am working with some others in the DIMES forums to figure out what the problem is.

ok... i have an 'unofficial Linux install FAQ' up at the netDIMES forums.... http://www.netdimes.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1178

the FAQ is very likely going to change as the last part (actually getting DIMES to run) is still speculation on my part as I don't have a linux system in front of me (borgix is at King_Warg's, and my wife's old system is still sitting here untouched as she hasn't pulled her old data off of it yet.)

ok... Looks like my FAQ works (so far!)...

And also, guys... Congrats... in a day or so we'll be in the top 100 teams and still hard-charging our way up!

Let's see if we can't each recruit 1 person to help out and donate time, even if part-time?

Heck yeah!

Got the OK from the DIMES guys... looks like mY Linux install Guide/FAQ works perfectly now (2 adjustments had to be made... and they were tiny ones!).

Here is the now finished version of the guide: http://www.netdimes.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1178

Hmm... they are also close to a service install version of the program, so that should help out a lot as well!

Also, with macaholic's help in diagnosing the CPU cycles problem and helping us all drop the cycles used (to give us back more to use for our other DC projects in F@H and BOINC/SETI)..... we should be able to get more people joining in that otherwise would fear that they'd hafta leave behind thier old DC Project just to run DIMES.

where did this subforum come from? am i crazy? this is a good idea! wow!
anyways, i am looking at 2/3 of my (unassembled) rig, and thinking "o/c team spirit" and all that, but i cant afford to fold on my own rig unless its timeless tinkers set to 5%CPU... the other two potential borgs in the house - same story. even scarier is we DONT want 3 rigs at full load. AlCu wiring (maybe) all over the house with no grounding in sight, and all 3 rigs would be on the same circut. i still want to contribute to the teams, so ill think it over and get more info on it - this might just be the answer -while dreamstalker carries on under my name with F@H... THF, i am tempted sir...

orionlion82 said:
where did this subforum come from? am i crazy? this is a good idea! wow!
anyways, i am looking at 2/3 of my (unassembled) rig, and thinking "o/c team spirit" and all that, but i cant afford to fold on my own rig unless its timeless tinkers set to 5%CPU... the other two potential borgs in the house - same story. even scarier is we DONT want 3 rigs at full load. AlCu wiring (maybe) all over the house with no grounding in sight, and all 3 rigs would be on the same circut. i still want to contribute to the teams, so ill think it over and get more info on it - this might just be the answer -while dreamstalker carries on under my name with F@H... THF, i am tempted sir...

Yikes, sounds like a scary setup.

Yup, DIMES doesn't use any CPU unless you viewing the Graph, even then it's minimal. The only thing it uses (as you've prolly read) is bandwidth, and a around 20-30MB of RAM. Help us out! Were climbing the ranks REALLY fast!

Back