• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netdimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:welcome: to teh DIME!
I don't know if it does better with a higher bandwidth(excluding dialup of course) I have an 8mb connection at my house and DIMES seems to be doing pretty well. I'm sure there's a definate answer to your question somewhere. I'll try to find out, but by that time, I'm sure someone else will have an answer for you :p

*Edit: I just read on their homepage that it barely uses any bandwidth.
What we ask is not so much your CPU or bandwidth (which we hardly consume), but rather, your location.

mdameron said:
Diming now. I joined up when I heard it doesn't use much CPU... I don't fold cause my chip will sit at 62C, no thanks. With a TON of stuff open, (AV, steam, firefox, etc.), my cpu is between 0-2%. Not a bad gig.

I'm on college internet, (dual DS3's sounds right...) you think your rig will do more work the more bandwidth you have? I'll borg my GF's comp since it doesn't use the CPU.

You can set the amount of bandwidth...I don't remember the mimimum but the Maxiumum is 51kb/s or something.

borged the laptop. gonna get my gf's soon too. will have 3 comps on fast internet going. i'll see if i can tweak the bandwidth.

mdameron said:
borged the laptop. gonna get my gf's soon too. will have 3 comps on fast internet going. i'll see if i can tweak the bandwidth.

Awesome, it's in the Network settings.

BTW, MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL OR UPGRADE TO VERSION 4.3!! That way you can login to an online control panel...and have nearly full control over ALL clients, that way you don't need to go back to them (phsyically) when they are having problems, or you wanna upgrade them later.

To be honest, I've never even looked at the preferences settings for DIMES. If I turn my bandwidth to max and time between measurements all the way down should that give me better pointage?

sno.lcn said:
To be honest, I've never even looked at the preferences settings for DIMES. If I turn my bandwidth to max and time between measurements all the way down should that give me better pointage?

I'm not sure about bandwidth, but for seconds between measurements, DEFINATELY. The default is 31 seconds IIRC...you can go down to 15...that's doubling your production time.

as for the bandwidth... here is how i do it...

take you upstream, divide by 10. Add 10, and set that as your max speed up. Anything more and you don't gain much at all.

ummm, i have a question.

so say we have the cheap dsl.
and say its split 3 ways.
and allso say that our router locks up if you so much as give it dirty looks, let alone beg for bandwith.
is netdimes something that would still be sensible in my situation, considering?

Hmmm.. I had 3 machines at once DIMEing away for a bit (till one of them up and died on me... *sniff*).

Had no problems. It uses hardly any bandwidth at all. The only thing I would say try is put it on 1 machine at first....

oh yes, what are your speeds on the DSL? that is how you configure the client (by telling it how long to do it's work against what your upload speed is).

If you're concerned with bandwidth, you can turn it down in the DIMES prefs.
I haven't noticed any bandwidth loss on my connection.

so then if none of us really know what our upload speed is ,and guess wrong, we would be sending back bad data?

TollhouseFrank said:
Hmmm.. I had 3 machines at once DIMEing away for a bit (till one of them up and died on me... *sniff*).

So does that mean I'm FINALLY going to start catching up with you Frank?
But I DO hope you get your rig back up though :D

BTW, Did anyone else notice that [H]ardOCP has 2 teams? One is way above us and one is just under us.

Last edited:
I noticed. I think they created 2 of them at the same time... and the one by himself doesn't want to switch over to the other team.

Back