• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my windows hold out this long..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, bingo, it's dying already.

After some hassle and installing SP2 i finally managed to update my vga drivers this afternoon, however now windows refuses to boot. Only safe mode works. I'm now doing a sysrepair to this morning...according to the util, there arent any other restore points :bang head

I was having some instability issues with eve online the past week, it restarted the pc about once or twice a day on me, wasnt able to track down the source. Now my machine is completely screwed.

^^^

then i highly think there was a problem from the get go.. if you do clean install and then clean install of sp2 then there should be no worries at all.. espescially if your stable..

if need be remove your hardware that you dont need to run your pc for the moment..

ive tried disabling all programs and drivers at boot but it just damn freezes everytime :(

and worse, i lost my (legal!! purchased from school student program!!) windows xp cd so i cant do a repair

After the virus / ad aware and disk scan it seems to be working again partially...however now its back to nagging about vga drivers and alot of programs aren't working as they are supposed to.

Insanity rules!

Every time i reboot i have to perform a full disk scan. As soon as i reboot after that it fails again, so i have to do another one.

I checked the system for 24H prime stability a week ago and havent changed anything hardware-wise since.

Bah, i love pc's as long as they function. As soon as i have time ill clean out the case and check the harddrives and cables. First theres three exams to make tomorrow and tuesday :/

mdameron said:
Why not sp2? You not legit? I can go a loooong time on an XP Home sp2 install. I know what my hardware will OC to already, so theres not much 'failing' to it :p

I am pretty sure that you can use SP2 - legit or not. As far as I understand though - SP2 is mostly about extra security features ..am I right?

From the beginning of using XP Pro, I have used only SP1, tried one time going over to 2, but many of my programs at that time were not compatabile - probably are now.

I use it with Zone Alarm for the firewall - and as long as I leave it alone (which I raely do) - it runs and runs forever.

Back