• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accuracy of MBM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

I just installed my new PSU (FSP Blue Storm AX500-A) and BIOS gives me a 12V reading of 12.03V, but MBM gives me 12.83V. Should I worry about anything? I don't have time to do many tests for stability right now but I probably will sometime tomorrow. The temps are definitely wrong for MBM too, but just a little worried about the voltage. With my old PSU (3+ year old Antec True430), MBM reported around 12.20V or so.

Gregory_WE said:
I just installed my new PSU (FSP Blue Storm AX500-A) and BIOS gives me a 12V reading of 12.03V, but MBM gives me 12.83V. Should I worry about anything? I don't have time to do many tests for stability right now but I probably will sometime tomorrow. The temps are definitely wrong for MBM too, but just a little worried about the voltage. With my old PSU (3+ year old Antec True430), MBM reported around 12.20V or so.

Judging by the difference in voltage from the bios to the MBM software I would definitely take a look with a Digital Multimeter. It takes about 5 minutes to simply find a spare molex connector and get some 12 volt and 5 volt readings.(Considering the fact that you own a DMM, or can run to radio shack and buy one) Me personally, this is the only way I would get a peace of mind.

Technically speaking, ATX Voltage Specifications are for a minimum of 11.4 volts and a maximum of 12.6 volts for stable operation on a 12 volt positive rail. Seeing that MBM has you listed @ 12.83 volts I would definitely get some peace of mind here by testing manually even though the odds are that you have a perfectly normal voltage. Its better to be safe than sorry you know?

Dom

Is it possible that it's because MBM doesn't have the K8N Neo2 listed and therefore might not be configured to read the values correctly?

don't you have to select your mobo from their list when you install mbm? If it wasn't there, what did you put?

I used the K8N Neo Plat (1st one, not the 2nd).

Can any of you recommend a different utility to do the same thing?

I found a changed voltage.ini file for MBM to be used with the K8N Neo 2 Plat and the vcore is correct and the 12V is down to around 12.3V. I also downloaded MSI's Core Center which reports the 12V as between 12.08 and 12.20V.

I just tested the rails with the multimeter I picked up yesterday.

+12V: 12.25 idle, 12.20 full load, 12.17 full load + oc + overvolt
+5V: 5.09 idle, 5.10 full load, 5.10 full load + oc + overvolt

Looks good.

Back