• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding left over ram to my 1gig dc set, yay or nay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheReds

Registered
Hey guys, right now i have some G.Skill dual channel (2x512) LE's. Now, the memory they replaced were a set of infineon 2x256 sticks. With games like bf2 and such would i at all benefit from sticking those 2 infineon sticks in along with my gskills? i would then have 1512 mb of ram, would i see any benefits?

I dont really run benchmarks so those scores dont really matter to me. Just performance in a game is what matters. So, what do you guys think, yay or nay? :shrug:

peace

If you are not a bencher then definitely add. You will see much better performance and not only that you will be able to turn up some settings like textures to high detail and it won't stutter considering that you have a decent vid card.

sweet! ill run the occasional benchmard or so once in a while just for an idea of where i stand, but lets just say 3dmark or pcmark is not the first thing run after i get a new component. I have a 7800GS on the way (probably today) so i will also install this other ram. :attn:

also, so it doesnt matter that they are completely different sticks and everything? different manufacturers, speeds, chips, and so on? thanks for the help.

peace

TheReds said:
also, so it doesnt matter that they are completely different sticks and everything? different manufacturers, speeds, chips, and so on? thanks for the help.

peace

It matters if you are OC'ing and tweaking, but if you plan to run on stock then not that much because your mobo will automatically detect the slowest RAM and lock on it's speeds and timings. You will still be able to overclock but it won't be as high as if you were to do it with one set, but that's why we have dividers in these cases ;)

Back