• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drive for my CUSL2-C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acts837

Registered
I have two 20GB hard drives. A Maxtor 5400rpm, Ultra 100 and a Western Digital 7200rpm, Ultra 66. Which should I use on my Asus CUSL2-C mobo? Is rotational speed more important than transfer mode? Or vice versa?

Hey I have had much better experiences with WD and IBM drives, 7200 RPM you will prolly notice about 1.0 MS access time diffrence between a 7200 and a 5400, so for all intents and purposes 7200 would be a little quicker besides, stay away from the cheap drives, the qote "you get what you pay for!" applies with HD's
My suggestion is stay away from quantum, and Maxtor. My last Seagate crashed too so if its not SCSI i wouldn't trust seagate either. WD and IBM are solid and backed by a 3 year warranty. I believe you can get a 40 gig by either company for around 90 bux.

I've got two Maxtors and they have been dependable drives with great warranties. Better than some of the Western Digitals I've had in the past. Right now, the IBM 60GXP drives are about the best (I have two fairly new 40 gig drives of this model). As far as which one to use of the two drives you listed, good question. It's about a toss up as far as speed goes. Maybe run each one and benchmark them using Sandra. I might lean towards the Maxtor, the slower RPM will be quieter, cooler, and more dependable than the WD 7,200 drive. Are you sure the WD is only Ultra 66, I thought most of the 7,200 RPM drives were Ultra 100?

Almost every brand gives a 3-year factory warranty nowadays, otherwise they wouldn't sell any HDD's anymore. Western Digital is just a mediate performer that uses deals with other brands with a WD sticker on the drive etc. I've had one 4.3Gig WD caviar that crashed, and the RMA replacement is already starting to make strange noises after 1.5 years while it only serves as a data disc (not any OS is running on it). I agree with battboy that Maxtor seems to be reliable. I have a 15Gig ATA66 7200rpm 2MB cache Maxtor as my maindrive and it is quieter than the 5400rpm WD. We have a PC's as old as a P200mmx in the family with a (at the time absurdly expensive) 3.1 Gig Maxtor ATA33 drive and never had any problems with it.

Back