• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP: i cant log in, i get logged off instantly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazon

Windows XP pro SP2

i just installed this system today, it worked fine, i installed drivers and a my usual programs, rebooted several times and everything was fine. Then, i installed more software and on the next reboot i was unable to log in: i get the log in screen, which i had not seen before since i only set one user, and as soon as i log in i see my desktop background but no icons nor task bar, and i see the logging off . . . screen and get kicked back to log in screen. On the last boot that worked i got a message saying that some system files had been changed by a program and asking for the install CD, i chose to keep the new files since i thought one of the programs i had installed changed some system stuff. was that a bad call? Ok here's what i already tried:

-i tried the administrator account to no effect.
-i can boot into safe mode, i created a new user, no go
-i booted into safe mode with network functions, it took like 5 minutes to load my user profile. i disabled both LAN cards in the device manager and now it loads up fast, but only in safe mode. this leads me to think it is a network issue.
-i had already installed antivirus, Adaware, Spybot S&D, and Zonealaram before setting up the internet connection, so i doubt it is a virus. Plus i used all my old installers from my HDD, that i used many times before with no problems.
-i tried the search function on the forums: the only solution i found is to use automatic system recory from the install CD

i guess that's all. please gurus help me!

emilio

Make sure under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Make sure the value "Userinit", is set to the following:

C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

Try running the System Restore tool from "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", which is accessible from the Advanced Options menu (in order to access the menu, press the F8 key just before Windows begins to load/directly after POST), and restore your system to a point prior to the installation of the software that apparently caused the problem. You'll need to log on as the administrator, or a user that has administrative rights. At the command prompt, type...

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe ...and then press ENTER.

...then just follow the instructions on the screen. You could also try running the System File Checker tool from the Run box in Safe Mode... type sfc /scannow, and click OK.

Hey Redduc, doesn't System File Checker overwrite patches & update files back to the Service Pack level of the OS?

since the key was present, I replaced userinit.exe with a freshly expanded version. i was able to log in, only to find everything else wrecked. Turns out my problem was 900+ .EXE files infected with win32/Gaelicum.A, apparently a variant of Tenga. Off to reinstall again.

How could this have happened in one day? in the morning the disk wasnt even formatted, by the afternoon 900 files are infected! AVG antivirus didn't detect the intrusion even though it detects the virus on a full scan. crap-tastic. all my installers are on a separate HDD, and are not infected, i just checked them from a clean computer . . .

emilio

El<(')>Maxi said:
Hey Redduc, doesn't System File Checker overwrite patches & update files back to the Service Pack level of the OS?
No, it won't overwrite updated signed drivers or system patches... as long as they were properly installed. However when running sfc /scannow on a W2K pre-SP4 system, apparently the hotfixes don't register themselves in a way that SFC recognizes... so hotfixes can be overwritten.

Tazon said:
How could this have happened in one day? in the morning the disk wasnt even formatted, by the afternoon 900 files are infected! AVG antivirus didn't detect the intrusion even though it detects the virus on a full scan.

It's a good example of why free scanners are not really the best. Mcafee, Symantec & Norton are not favorites with alot of people but they're developers are quick to release definitions when a new virus or exploit is hitting, thats important as well as a good firewall (No ZoneAlarm or Norton).

Could you recommend a better antivirus/firewall combo than my current setup (AVG and Zonealarm)

Personally I'd go with Norton AV (AV only, Internet Tools has a crap firewall), and Windows built in Firewall.

Back