• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About time! Low profile heatpipe NB cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Question, i really don't plan on Overclocking my computer(not yet anyways) much, would i benifit from having a chipset cooler like that? Or would that be a waste of money? Sorry for such a dumb question. i am still learning this stuff.

as long as it fits, that will probably do a better job than any chipset cooler I have seen. on many boards the chipset fans are extremely cheap. some really inhibit overclocking, others have crappy fans that die quickly (mine), others are just very noisy. this one uses a very silent fan that can be easily changed, even if you wanted a bigger one.

One reason to go with this one is that its pretty much all that fits on most nForce4's. The chipset is right at the end of the top PCI-E 16x slot, so a tall cooler will not fit. If I knew where to get one, I'd buy it.

Don't bother with a northbridge cooler unless you are going to be overclocking to the absolute limits you can obtain with your setup or beyond. The stock heatsink will suffice otherwise, and it quite frankly is not worth spending the money to upgrade unless your NB temps are abnormally high or the heatsink is hot to the touch...

Maviryk said:
Hmm... Think I can mod that to fit on my 7800GS?

Yes....but it'll never cool it. The 7800 puts out way too much wattage to be cooler by a NB cooler.

Now the real quesion: Can I run it passive? Either way they are going to sell TONS to the DFI guys. It's virtually the only 'good' aftermarket NB cooler they can use. Too bad it's got issues blocking the second PCI-e or raid SATA ports.

Bios24 said:
Yes....but it'll never cool it. The 7800 puts out way too much wattage to be cooler by a NB cooler.

Now the real quesion: Can I run it passive? Either way they are going to sell TONS to the DFI guys. It's virtually the only 'good' aftermarket NB cooler they can use. Too bad it's got issues blocking the second PCI-e or raid SATA ports.

Actually there are a bunch of other coolers us DFI guys can use. I've got a evercool vc-re on mine and it pretty much outperforms the original chipset fan and way quieter too.

futura2001 said:
Don't bother with a northbridge cooler unless you are going to be overclocking to the absolute limits you can obtain with your setup or beyond. The stock heatsink will suffice otherwise, and it quite frankly is not worth spending the money to upgrade unless your NB temps are abnormally high or the heatsink is hot to the touch...

That is the exact kind of answer i was looking for. Thank you very much. You just saved me money. :attn:

futura2001 said:

Okay, I will now go ahead and take mine off. :santa:

futura2001 said:

Also, if your stock heatsink is too loud for you then there are other alternatives

futura2001 said:

Wanna bet? I get temps at 47C and higher on my chipset before I even overclock it at all. Now I'm about 52/53 after overclocking and I haven't pushed it to it's max yet.

Not everyone's chipset fans are going to be the same. Mine blows and is loud enough to make me get off the computer after a half hour. Something like this heatsink is exactly right for me.

Mooyo said:
Wanna bet? I get temps at 47C and higher on my chipset before I even overclock it at all. Now I'm about 52/53 after overclocking and I haven't pushed it to it's max yet.

Not everyone's chipset fans are going to be the same. Mine blows and is loud enough to make me get off the computer after a half hour. Something like this heatsink is exactly right for me.

Yeah, that ultra-d chipset fas sure is whinney. It's the main reason i replaced mine

Back