• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Money not a problem here....what to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZeroKelvin

Hey there gang. I am needing to upgrade to 2G of ram and need some help picking my new ram. I have been all over these forums and am seeing everybody pick diffent ram for different reasons.

I am a hardcore player of games and especially of EverQuest 2. I'm not worried about benchmarks but just want some great performance for my games (although would like to look somewhat good on the bench). I am running a AMD dual core 4400 and am wanting the best overclock I can get. What would you all recommend for 2 sticks of 1g ram? I am not worried about money but only buying what will give me the best performance.

This is what I am looking at now....

mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB

and

OCZ Platinum Edition 2GB

Or any other ram you might think would be even better than this. Thanks so much for any and all help. :p

It would be pretty hard to beat the mushkin you link to, the OCZ are fine sticks too, but of the 2, I would pick the mushkin.

Team has some memory that Tankguys has listed, but isn't in yet. It Cronus, and there has been quite a lot of talk about these new sticks lately, as they use Micron chips, similar to what the Crucial Ballistix ran. Could be something to check into there as well.

I have the OCZ Gold PC4000 sticks, which are nice, stable... but don't clock much over thier rated speed, about 10mhz extra seems to be the norm, or a hair more.

I hope this helps some.

Larry

Guess I should have listed that. Sorry about that.

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR
AMD X2 4400
Nvidia pci-express sli 7800gtx

I have been running the Mushkin Redline 2gig sets at 250mhz at 3-3-2-7 with a
X2-3800 overclocked to 2751mhz.
I could get this ram up to 259mhz stable.
This rig is super stable, it will run Prime95 two instances for 24 hours.
The 2 gig and bandwidth of this ram make a huge difference in games like Fear and Battlefield2.

Awsome!!!

Thats what I wanted to know. Thanks H2. Think I will order the Redline this week.

Our products all come with a lifetime warranty. We can also assist you with technical questions here on OCF or on our forums. I hope you enjoy it.

Duonger

Sorry do have another question though....

I don't know much about the DDR2 stuff. First off, will I need a new motherboard to support it and is it worth waiting for? I keep reading about DDR2 being the next big step up in ram but I don't see anything about how it will be better. I don't mind waiting a month or so if I get great increases in performance without having to change my system. But if I need to start changing out motherboards or cpu's then I would rather just go with the redline now.

ddr2 is here already. thee are 2 jedec speeds 533 and 667. 800 will be releasing soon.
amd will be releasing ddr2 boards also this summer.

Duonger

Back