• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BEST CPU Cooler for my new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phrkshw

Dont have the cash to do H2O yet so please leave that out , I will be working on saving the money for that here shortly ( 6 mnths tops ) . Here will be my set up :
Antec SOHO File Sever Case
Antec NEOPower 480
DFI Lanparty 925X-T2
1 GB (2x512) Corsair Value Select DDR2 533
P4 3.2 Lg775 ( 2mb of sweet @SS cache :p )
3 Sata Drives :
120 WD
200 WD
160 Seagate
X600 Pro PCI-e ( GV-RX60P128D ) ( Wouldnt have any complants about replacing that stock heatsink/fan combo on this either , hint , hint :D )
And an old SB Live 5.1 ( It'll work till I get my X-Fi )
Thanks

EDIT : Also Have 1 Side mounted 80mm , 2 rear mounted 80's , & 2 front mounted 80's .

Last edited:
can't go wrong with a thermalright xp-120. there are tons of other big heatpipe coolers out, as well. sonic tower, ninja...

i would strongly recommend looking at a heatsink that accepts a 120mm fan. they move air at a lesser noise level compared to other sizes. also pick one that can accept different kinds of fans. maybe you want to run a nice quiet 120x25mm, maybe you found a better fan 120x35mm and want to have more CFM. it really opens up your options. you can change orientation of fan, add spacers, etc.

Last edited:
just get an zalman cu7700 or an xp90 wit an high cfm fan on there, the 9500 and the 7700 cool just about the same so that extra 25+ dollers isnt worth it

The Thermaltake Big typhoon is also an excellent choice for your setup too. It uses a quiet 120mm fan and I know for a fact that it cools a highly overclocked 820 well, so it should do your 3.2 a fine job too.

All choices listed so far are a good choice for you though; just go for the one that you can get the best deal on, IMO.

EDIT: My buddy with the 820 found the Zalman 7700 to be a bit marginal for overclocking on his machine, but the BT did much better with dealing with the extra heat.

I'm using the Zalman 9500 and it works great. What's good about it is that the air flow can be pushed out through the exhaust fan in the back of the case. Plus, the size of it doesn't mess with trying to install TALL ram like some other fans do.

Yea, thermalright xp90/xp120 or Big Typhoon probably the best bet... the BT is BIG, so check measurements to see if it fits that SOHO case (I am unfamiliar with this case...)

Cheers.

Thermaltake Big Typhoon - It will be cheaper than the Zalman and an XP-120 and it cools better than both.

deception``

hi'
BT definitly ;)
silent and better cooling bench than thermalright xp120 ...
for once some agree that thermaltake made a great stuff, heavy and big, but great ;)

i686

Go with the Big Typhoon, I'd say. Are you concerned about noise? You can put a powerful Delta fan on it and do quite well.

im a watercooling guy, but have bought the ninja for a relative and it is nice. plus its pretty cheap

get a thermaltake witha silverstone 120mm 110 CFM fan...that thing was QUIET for 110 CFM, could run at 90 and it would be relaly quiet...highly reccooommended

i say look at how the air flow is in your case... im using a matx mobo with the ninja right now... cpu temps are nice, but i need airflow over the chipset and pwm's. I will be getting a BT to replace this and the ninja will going on my rig #3.

Back