• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quantum Computing Weirdness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/info-tech/mg18925405.700.html
New Scientist said:
Even for the crazy world of quantum mechanics, this one is twisted. A quantum computer program has produced an answer without actually running.

The idea behind the feat, first proposed in 1998, is to put a quantum computer into a “superposition”, a state in which it is both running and not running. It is as if you asked Schrödinger's cat to hit "Run".

I guess this is the ultimate computer to run Windows. Not only can it run Windows without actually being on, quite possibly the best way to run Windows, I theorize this computer would be able to take advantage of the the quantum superposition state and run Windows in a crashed and uncrashed state simultaneously. It would be as if Schrödinger's cat had a stroke...
But will Vista support it?

Lol... all this quantum computing stuff makes my head hurt. Maybe a computer with a quantum processor will both exist and not exist at the same time. Imagine trying to word process on that thing. Perhaps it will write your thesis for you and not at the same time... without even being turned on

MightyJoe said:
Lol... all this quantum computing stuff makes my head hurt. Maybe a computer with a quantum processor will both exist and not exist at the same time. Imagine trying to word process on that thing. Perhaps it will write your thesis for you and not at the same time... without even being turned on

"I'm sorry Mrs. Anderson, my quantum computer ate my research paper on the myth of a paperless society..."

hawtrawkr said:
the problem with quantum computers is you wont be able to overclock them
Nonsense!
You'll just have to wait for the Vapochill FTL or the Prometeia Mach 880,992 and later revisions...

futura2001 said:
Nonsense!
You'll just have to wait for the Vapochill FTL or the Prometeia Mach 880,992 and later revisions...

I doubt you fill find a new Prometia any time soon.

Anyway, the computer wasn't off, it was on and off. Lol. You can't make any comparisons between it and a conventional computer.

futura2001 said:
"I'm sorry Mrs. Anderson, my quantum computer ate my research paper on the myth of a paperless society..."

[Adding to quote] "when it wasnt even on too!"[/Adding to quote]

the problem with quantum computers is you wont be able to overclock them

PSHHHHH,

Its called ClockGen, Quatum Edition. lol it OC's itself,

without it being on!

Well, a recent quantum computer "chip" created at a michigan university apparently shows promise. The article I read said that aside from the tremendous differences in technology, a simular process was used to create the chip to what is used in current microprocessors. That doesn't mean it is going to make it onto the desktop anytime soon; however, it was a big step forward.

Quantum chips *would* most likely have clock cycles just like current CPUs do. This particular quantum chip is able to store information in the spin of an ion held within some kind of special chamber within the chip. The spin of the ion can be controlled and read with lasers. I know that you can do alot of really cool things with very precise kinds of lasers to atoms and such. Its concievable that different strenth laser pulses and frequencies could be used to read or control quantum particles. Most likely a computer system that would work on a technology like this would have fiber optic traces on the motherboard and use clock cycles based upon light pulses. I *don't* really know but it seems plausable to me. The advantages and possibilities that lay within quantum computers are simply amazing. Also, taking advantage of the fact that quantum level particles are able to exist in multiple states at once would allow for some interesting capabilities.

Last edited:
brakezone is what you posted what you read ? or is that your assumption on the matter ? i dont want to get this stuff confused... cause i find it very interesting

Oh, I only read that there was a special "chip" which used quantum level particles to store information. The quantum level particle in this case was an ion. They used lasers to control and determine its spin. The rest of the stuff I said was just me comming up with theories on how it could be implimented. Quantum computers are so far from being used in place of a current technology, its sad.

Even with quantum computers though, I would imagine that you need clock cycles. Also, if the information is being stored and read with lasers, why not use fiber optics to connect the devices? I was just really trying to concieve of how we could have a quantum pc. No scientist said it or anything I just was brainstorming it, so its likely to be laughable to somebody who knows that it would not be like that at all.

Back