• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SQL Database

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asusradeon

In one of my appz im usin an SQL database, the app runs fine until to i use it on another pc and then it comes up with an unexpected exception, and says there was an error connecting to SQL Server 2005. Is there a way of making it so the end user dosent have to have SQL server 2005 installed.

Thanks

The only way I know of is to install the database on a server and have your app connect to the database on the server.

what does the App do?

what is it written in?

You could port it to using mySQL instead of SQL server then have mySQL installed on any PC that will be using your software

You would need to have the DB on a server or other computer that is available on a network. I believe there is a desktop version (free I think) of SQL server (maybe called MSDE or something like that) that you could install on each machine, but then everyone using you program would have different data.

I would suggest making it based on a server on the network. That way lets say we have 10 users, all who need this info. They connect to the sql server that is on the network for the database, and everything works just dandy. Otherwise you will need to install sql server on each and every system, and then somehow coordinate the data between them :p.

yeh, the installation of the SQL Server on the end user's machine is what i will do because im planning on selling this software that im creating to small buisnesses

but if that small business wants to share the information across multiple pcs..... You're going to need a central database.

I would suggest mysql, as opposed to standard SQL, as it's license is free :)

jus thought if im selling this i cud just offer both options, 1 for single pc usage (no i-net required) 2 for multi pc (i-net required)

It would only need a network connection.

You would have to set up a server on the LAN.

What I would suggest is doing this.

Set up an old, 400Mhz PII with Linux and mySQL server installed. Then, make your program have a configureable server option. Instead of connecting to the local database, have it connect to the server.(I recommend having a config.ini or something, with the server ip or whatever in it, so that you can change servers without recoding the entire program ;))

That would allow you to have it either A) Single client, or B) Multiple Client, so all the people could work off of the same database.

hmmm, good idea thx ill look into this a bit more speak some people i know see which ideas they prefer. Cheers m8

Definatly if you are looking at selling to small business you need to look seriously at mySQL vs SQL server, the mySQL business licence is around 300 USD 1 time fee, SQL server is far more expencive then that, and offers nothing to a small business that mySQL can't do.

Not trying to talk you out of MySQL. It is probably a good option though I have never used it because we have SQL server at work.

However, Microsoft has revised their SQL server product line recently. They have an Express Edition which is free an would probably meet your single computer version. Not sure if it would be available on a network for shared data though. They do have a workgroup version which would probably meet those requirements. Not sure on the pricing, but I think they are trying to be a bit more competitive for this type of application. Just might be worth looking into.

hmmm, u have to pay for SQL Server, cause i downloaded it from microsoft free, the express 2005 version, this works for me :S

asusradeon said:
hmmm, u have to pay for SQL Server, cause i downloaded it from microsoft free, the express 2005 version, this works for me :S

Before you Sell anything look up and read the licensing conditions.

mySQL is the only company I have dealt with when it comes to software sales, so I know how they work.

mySQL is free to download and use your self, but if you sell an application that contains mySQL you have to pay a business licence. NOW the mySQL rep told me that it the buyer of my software were to download mySQL and install it, then I would not have to pay for the business licence because I did not sell them mySQL only a tool that worked over top of it. for small 1 or 2 computer operations this was a nice way around saving the customer 300 dollars which actually made a difference to the overall cost.
You could download the mySQL for them and set up a server with it, then sell your software to them, this would also stand as them being separate units and you would not need the business licence.

hi, ive just found out how to import a standard access database into an app, so how will this differ to say SQL it looks the same atm, what software wud the enduser have to have installed, e.g Access ?

Thanks

Ive sort of wrked out the access databases however i need a save button. i have created a datagrid view along with a data source and that works but i cant save the changes what wud be the code for this thx

Last edited:
Back